Active Topics

Posts: 378 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
couldn't find anything on this..

don't know if its a bug or what. but when i first logged into skype on my n900, it eventually downloaded my skype contacts profile pictures and added them as contact pictures in my contact book.

now i can get it to repeat this after i removed my skype account on the phone and added it again. tried everything. even deleted my skype contacts completly and added them again. anyone know what i'm missing?

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
you have probably lost all your contacts by deleting them from phone, as it synchronizes with skype. check your skype account on desktop/PC or somewhere else...warning messages are worth reading...

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Vienna / Austria
I had the same problem mthmob described (and it was not caused by a contact synchronizing problem).

So I tried to define a seperate Skype contact picture into the N900 as well - this can be done when clicking on the picture area in the mask where you can activate the skype profile. I used the same high quality picture I used in my Skype profile via PC as well.

But the result was worst:
The N900 is downsampling this image to a very very low thumbnail quailty and now uploading this poor image each time to my Skype profile when I'm activating Skype via the N900. And the bad news is that this cannot be removed from the N900 via GUI.

So please can anybody give me a hint how to solve this problem?
For me it seems like a bug since the N900 should either take the contact picture of the phonebook contact with the same name or handle an other given picture properly without changing the size/quality.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Vienna / Austria
I have now applied a workaround described in: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...090#post703090

When you tell the application to use a JPEG picture it will be cropped and downsampled. When you tell the application to use a PNG picture it will not be put to a lower quality. This is since the standard picture file format for this is PNG: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...195#post516195

So I took the original JPEG picture, opened it in Gimp, stored it as PNG picture, uploaded it to the device and told the N900 account mask to use this as skype profile picture.

Nevertheless I think that the correct solution would be 1) a notification to use PNG if downsampling is not wanted and 2) a checkbox that the profile picture will not be uploaded to the Skype server in the web.