Active Topics

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Latvia, Ireland
So the problem is !!!
I just got my n900 and im very excited The part what makes me sad is that I Can't get the red pill for my nokia n900
The version i got on my n900 is: 10.2010.19-1
I added matrix in web adress bar, after that i touched blury place up to the cataloge name and nothing at all happened, better to say happened just like i pushed back button.Is there any solution u can give me?
I will be greatly appreciated if any of you can tell me how to turn my n900 on red pill!!!Thanks!

Last edited by n0ak; 2010-07-06 at 13:31.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Red_Pill_mode

If you could read, you would be able to read the first line in RED that says:
Red Pill functionality has been removed from Maemo5 51-1 forwards. So last firmware that has red pill -functionality is Maemo5 2009.44-1
There is no Red Pill.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
I would just like to add, if you're thinking about downgrading, the update that removed Red Pill was PR1.1 (2.2009.51-1).

That same update also updated the phone modem, and people who attempted to revert to PR1.0.1 (1.2009.44-1) or PR1.0 (1.2009.42-11) found that the N900 would no longer recognize any SIM cards.

The easiest way to use "red pill functions" is via the terminal with the appropriate commands.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
And how im gona get games and apps on my n900 ! ?
when I install most of the .deb files they can't be installed ,because of some missing devices !! I haven't done anything to my n900 !! Its brand new !! And I wan't to get same apps and games like all of u guys !
But i can't maybe u can tell me step by step what should I do to get games and apps. on my n900 using PC!! I don't have Internet on my n900 at the moment !
Sorry for bad English !
Thanks Guys !

Originally Posted by xomm View Post
I would just like to add, if you're thinking about downgrading, the update that removed Red Pill was PR1.1 (2.2009.51-1).

That same update also updated the phone modem, and people who attempted to revert to PR1.0.1 (1.2009.44-1) or PR1.0 (1.2009.42-11) found that the N900 would no longer recognize any SIM cards.

The easiest way to use "red pill functions" is via the terminal with the appropriate commands.
Do u know the commands for "terminal" to get red pill !!! Please
thank u

Why dont you just use the app manager and enable the dev repositories etc (Not that I recommend that, since your skill level seems less than technical). Once enabled you should be able to install all games etc and have them pull required libs for you automatically. There should be very little need to install anything from a deb, but if there is you should use command line.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by n0ak View Post
when I install most of the .deb files they can't be installed ,because of some missing devices !! I haven't done anything to my n900 !! Its brand new !! And I wan't to get same apps and games like all of u guys !
But i can't maybe u can tell me step by step what should I do to get games and apps. on my n900 using PC!! I don't have Internet on my n900 at the moment !
Sorry for bad English !
Thanks Guys !
Ovi store online, and the app repositories available through 'Application Manager' on the phone itself.

Either way you will need internet on the N900 via wifi or 3g/gsm.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by n0ak View Post
Sorry for bad English !
Thanks Guys !
Without internet, you'll have to manually download all the dependencies of the application (they should be on the package listing; be very careful of what you download there though, you could brick your device and need a reflash.)

There's nothing wrong with your N900, that's just how things work; you either need an internet connection, or have all dependencies satisfied beforehand.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following User Says Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Athens, Greece
You can install most applications and games from the Application Manager (with no need for red pill or anything else).
The Application Manager finds available apps/games in Application catalogues (also called sources or repositories). It is preconfigured with the official nokia catalogues but most interesting things are in the catalogues named "Extras", "Extras-testing" and "Extras-devel". Search the forums on how to enable these (if they are not already enabled on your phone). Be careful though, apps from extras-devel are not well tested and may damage your phone.

For some apps, or for some advanced commands, you may need to become "root", a special user with unlimited access. You do this by first installing (through the Application Manager) the app named "rootsh" (this should be done once). Then in the Xterminal app, every time you need it, you type first "sudo gainroot". Be careful, I suggest you read up a bit on the linux shell first. If you are root, a downloaded .deb file can be installed with "dpkg -i app.deb" (app.deb is the name of the file you downloaded).

It's all written in the forums, so if you need something more, try a search.

[Sorry, just saw the bit about not having Internet on the N900...]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skoteinos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skoteinos View Post
You can install most applications and games from the Application Manager (with no need for red pill or anything else).
The Application Manager finds available apps/games in Application catalogues (also called sources or repositories). It is preconfigured with the official nokia catalogues but most interesting things are in the catalogues named "Extras", "Extras-testing" and "Extras-devel". Search the forums on how to enable these (if they are not already enabled on your phone). Be careful though, apps from extras-devel are not well tested and may damage your phone.

For some apps, or for some advanced commands, you may need to become "root", a special user with unlimited access. You do this by first installing (through the Application Manager) the app named "rootsh" (this should be done once). Then in the Xterminal app, every time you need it, you type first "sudo gainroot". Be careful, I suggest you read up a bit on the linux shell first. If you are root, a downloaded .deb file can be installed with "dpkg -i app.deb" (app.deb is the name of the file you downloaded).

It's all written in the forums, so if you need something more, try a search.

[Sorry, just saw the bit about not having Internet on the N900...]
so if im not havin g an internet I can't install the .deb files !!! I have just installed programmes through File Manager where I have to accept!! But most of the programmes I can't install I have Rootsh!!! I tried to install MyPaint !!! but when I type in Xterminal sudo gainroot and then i type in e.g dpkg -i whateveritscalled I can't it says No such file or Directory !!! wt* ??? :O
Help me guys !!!

I did all these steps !!

Let’s start by downloading the files (I will assume that you’ve downloaded it like me in a folder called Downloads inside Documents)

mypaint_0.7.1-2maemo4_armel.deb

mypaint-data_0.7.1-2maemo4_all.deb

Then you need root access (I used gainroot as usual) and the Extra-Devel repository, then do the following:

Open a X Terminal and type

sudo gainroot

apt-get install libblas3gf liblapack3gf pymaemo-optify python-numpy

(it’s here that it gets messy)

cd /usr/lib/

ln -s libblas.so.3gf libblas.so

ln -s liblapack.so.3gf.0 liblapack.so

and when i do this step :
apt-get install libblas3gf liblapack3gf pymaemo-optify python-numpy!! it says done for all the other files but not for libblas3gf - file not found!!
help me please !!!