Active Topics

Notices

Hi everyone.

i hope someone can help me out a bit here because I use skype the most. I have an E71 from www.three.com.au. I have skype client built-in by three.com.au in my E71 and everytime when i use skype. it is not using wi-fi but gprs from three.com.au so it does not cost me extra.

i just got my new N900. very nice phone!! i like everything but other than skype. the skype client is built-in by nokia already. if i connect by wi-fi. i can use skype no problem at all. i managed to setup a gprs connection with some help from the forum here, so i can access my account in three.com.au. once when i use gprs connection. i cant use skype because i have to disconnect my wi-fi.

i spoke to my network operator. they told me nothing they can do about it.

my question is, is there anyway that i can change the built-in skype client to access throught gprs network instead of using wi-fi?

thx
M

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by mktsoi View Post
Hi everyone.

i hope someone can help me out a bit here because I use skype the most. I have an E71 from www.three.com.au. I have skype client built-in by three.com.au in my E71 and everytime when i use skype. it is not using wi-fi but gprs from three.com.au so it does not cost me extra.

i just got my new N900. very nice phone!! i like everything but other than skype. the skype client is built-in by nokia already. if i connect by wi-fi. i can use skype no problem at all. i managed to setup a gprs connection with some help from the forum here, so i can access my account in three.com.au. once when i use gprs connection. i cant use skype because i have to disconnect my wi-fi.

i spoke to my network operator. they told me nothing they can do about it.

my question is, is there anyway that i can change the built-in skype client to access throught gprs network instead of using wi-fi?

thx
M
Three (at least in the UK) are notorious for making you run things the way that they want. the N900 is designed to use the most sensible route and with WiFi being a much faster route than GPRS then it would make sense for it to use that whilst it is available.

Why is WiFi costing you something when GPRS is not?

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Ok I just tried with GPRS and got my skype connected and I was too scared to use it to send and receive anything coz I don't have data plan and I know it will cost me fortune. How did you set you data connection?
EDIT: received IM and also call but couldn't answer coz I've no data plans.

Last edited by jaeezzy; 2010-03-03 at 13:43.

Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Three (at least in the UK) are notorious for making you run things the way that they want. the N900 is designed to use the most sensible route and with WiFi being a much faster route than GPRS then it would make sense for it to use that whilst it is available.

Why is WiFi costing you something when GPRS is not?
yes. wifi only in my house. but GPRS came with my phone plan :P. skype mins was included when i use phone with prebuilt skype client from 3.

Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
Ok I just tried with GPRS and got my skype connected and I was too scared to use it to send and receive anything coz I don't have data plan and I know it will cost me fortune. How did you set you data connection?
EDIT: received IM and also call but couldn't answer coz I've no data
plans.
can you tell me how you set you skype client in N900 to use the GPRS connection. my plan comes with skype mins anyway, so i wont need any data connection. if you have an x-series phone and go to 3. they willl charge you 5 dollars and give you 4000 skypes min but no data. thats what they told me anyway

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Originally Posted by mktsoi View Post
can you tell me how you set you skype client in N900 to use the GPRS connection. my plan comes with skype mins anyway, so i wont need any data connection. if you have an x-series phone and go to 3. they willl charge you 5 dollars and give you 4000 skypes min but no data. thats what they told me anyway
Ya but only three people I know have skype accound so I use at home just for some testing things only and have never used it for real purpose.
Nothing on the skype side just set up the connection using the following setting thats it.

Settings->Internet Connections->Connections->Cellular data->Edit->Connection name: 3netaccess->Next->Access point name: 3netaccess; User name: xyz@three.com.au; Password: your 3 password->Next->Finish.

That's about it. Enabled the skype, logged in and received the IM and call. However, I'm not sure how's this gonna get seen by 3, meaning if this will be counted or not in your 4000 skypes min.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Ireland
The Skype you get FROM Three is not the same as the Skype you get on the 900. In the Three version, the Skype data does not get billed to your account. However the built in Skype on the 900 does get billed. If using the built in Skype you need a data plan.

What we need is someone to post the 'Three Skype' settings.

Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
Ya but only three people I know have skype accound so I use at home just for some testing things only and have never used it for real purpose.
Nothing on the skype side just set up the connection using the following setting thats it.

Settings->Internet Connections->Connections->Cellular data->Edit->Connection name: 3netaccess->Next->Access point name: 3netaccess; User name: xyz@three.com.au; Password: your 3 password->Next->Finish.

That's about it. Enabled the skype, logged in and received the IM and call. However, I'm not sure how's this gonna get seen by 3, meaning if this will be counted or not in your 4000 skypes min.
thx for replying. i tried 3netaccess but it did not work for me. i put in 3services. i can connect and access Planet 3 from my browser but not skype. you see. my old E71 can access Planet 3. you can download a prebuilt skype client from Planet 3 which you can only use that skype to im and call to anyone has skype on computer but not any mobile or landline number.

the prebuilt version inside n900, you can buy skype credit with it once when you connected with wifi. i guess three.com.au trying stop everyone using anything other than give them the bussiness if you see what i mean

Originally Posted by God's Toy View Post
The Skype you get FROM Three is not the same as the Skype you get on the 900. In the Three version, the Skype data does not get billed to your account. However the built in Skype on the 900 does get billed. If using the built in Skype you need a data plan.

What we need is someone to post the 'Three Skype' settings.
thx for making my question clear. i should have said i need Three Skype setting for GPRS in the Thread.

i just explained the differences between skype from www.three.com.au and skype from n900 in another post. hope someone can come up with the settings.

thx again

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Does Three even work with GPRS?
Here in Sweden I just get a error message whenever I try to access the web when only having GSM coverage(only in the web browser though, otherwise nothing happens). Here in Sweden their 7.2mbps data plan is quite cheap though, only ~12.35USD/month. It's a great offer, especially since I use internet every day.

My 2 cents.

The Following User Says Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post: