Notices

Hi guys. I have a real problem with attaching word documents or any docs at all onto the n900s natiive email server. Whenever I send out an email with a word doc, the doc gets reformatted and wont poppulate when the receiver tries to open it. Really need to know how to send out a word doc with the same format as it was before I saved it onto the n900. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
When you say word documents do you mean microsoft word documents? And when you say "native email server" I suppose you mean native email client (modest). Anyway I tried sending a MS word doc and as expected it comes out exactly the same on the receiving end (checked using md5sum). Unless there is an obscure bug in modest there is no reason at all why it would mess with it at all.

If it's not user error (on your part ) then one possible cause is that the email servers (either or both the sending and receiving) is doing content filtering (antivirus, antispam etc) and has somehow altered your attachment. However if they did alter anything they usually include a note saying so and maybe why.

If it's an obscure bug with modest you could try zipping the word doc and see if that helps.

Yes, I meant a MS word doc or any other doc for that matter aside from a pdf file. I have it saved on the n900 memory. Whenever I open it with abiword, freoffice or anything it, it gets reformated. Its a resume so there are lines, different fonts, color schemes and structure to it. It looks on way on my computer bjut when I open it on any apps on the n900 it gets reformatted. Same happens when I send it to a recipient. I wonder if its different if I save it on my microsd.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by volcal View Post
Yes, I meant a MS word doc or any other doc for that matter aside from a pdf file. I have it saved on the n900 memory. Whenever I open it with abiword, freoffice or anything it, it gets reformated. Its a resume so there are lines, different fonts, color schemes and structure to it. It looks on way on my computer bjut when I open it on any apps on the n900 it gets reformatted. Same happens when I send it to a recipient. I wonder if its different if I save it on my microsd.
Are you sure that abiword and freeoffice save your document in doc format? Because they have read support for doc, but I don't know if they have full write support.

I've never heard of modest changing the contents of attachments, so I too would consider that the changes happen after of before sending the email.

Im pretty sure it changed the spacing and a couple of other things in the format including lines and word separations.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@volcal,

I think you should clarify what exactly your problem is, including changing the title of the thread.

If you attach a file (whatever its extension/format) to an e-mail using modest the file will be sent as-is, without any modifications.

Now, if you are using programs to modify and save documents (abiword, freoffice) then the problem lies either with the user and/or with the program, but not with the e-mail client!

I have to assume that you're aware that no office editor exists that can save a modified office document perfectly (whatever that means). The only exception is if you use the same version of Microsoft Office, possibly running on the same computer and with the same settings. Other than that, you're asking for trouble.

Now, on post #1 you ask for suggestions: how about PDF? or do expect the people receiving your resume to edit it?