Hi Guys,

I'm currently waiting for ADSL to get connected at my new place, so in the mean time, I'm using tethering from my N900 for internet access.

I've noticed that there is a massive speed difference between 3G and 3.5G which I'd like all the time. The phone goes into 3.5 when I'm using it directly, but won't if I'm tethering.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Is there a way to force the N900 to 3.5G?

Also, does anyone use Joikuspot? It sounds interesting, but don't want to shell out for it until I know its alright.

cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to andybotting For This Useful Post:
Have used 3.5 whilst tethered with no problems. Was on the top of a 7 floor building though.

Not sure you can force it. It goes with the fastest available where you are, I think.

NB - if you are in the UK and on O2, expect a nasty text/letter from them if you are tethering. They are watching your usage and will spank you. I got the text and then, when I phoned them to have the data connection re-established (they cut me off, the bastards) they simply said, we know that you have tethered your device. That puts you in breach of contract (having read it, it does). First time offender (cough) got away with nothing more than that, though.

Just a word to the wise.

Originally Posted by bjknight View Post
NB - if you are in the UK and on O2, expect a nasty text/letter from them if you are tethering.
Not wishing to hijack a perfectly good thread, but can I ask, what are your N900 phone settings for O2? I ask because originally they were different to what I'm using now, but then I had some 'pushed' to me via O2 and browsing seems slower...

(not enough posts to PM you)

Thanks, and apologies.

Yeah. I had that problem to start with too. That was them sending the MMS settings for the phone. Very helpful given the lack of MMS o-o-t-b on the N900! Silly beggers @ O2.

I did a hard reset (search here and you'll find the instructions) and it sorted it.

That should do the trick.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
all the new symbian got their 3.5G on all the time. But N900 doesn't, which quite silly

Originally Posted by andybotting View Post
Hi Guys,
Has anyone had any experience with this? Is there a way to force the N900 to 3.5G?
cheers
This is a normal function of the HSPA networks. When there is not the need for a high data rate the device switches back down to 3G. When there is demand then it switches up again, but there is a delay.

You need either a program or a script to keep pinging something to keep it in HSPA mode. Other uses on the HSPA network won't like you though as you will be using up capacity on the network that you aren't using.

Originally Posted by whats_up_skip View Post
This is a normal function of the HSPA networks. When there is not the need for a high data rate the device switches back down to 3G. When there is demand then it switches up again, but there is a delay.

You need either a program or a script to keep pinging something to keep it in HSPA mode. Other uses on the HSPA network won't like you though as you will be using up capacity on the network that you aren't using.
hmm. if you only need to ping then turn on yahoo or msn is fine since it will keep pinging their server for some update.
thats my tricks long time ago to make sure my 56k modem is not disconnected.

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany, near Hamburg
Hi Guys,

I'm currently waiting for ADSL to get connected at my new place, so in the mean time, I'm using tethering from my N900 for internet access.

I've noticed that there is a massive speed difference between 3G and 3.5G which I'd like all the time. The phone goes into 3.5 when I'm using it directly, but won't if I'm tethering.

cheers
Same thing here. First after the connection is up and running the download is 3-5 Mbit. I Made sure a download is running on my PC but it switched to 3G anyway. I can not force it to use 3.5G by starting the browser on the N900 an surf around.
I use O2 Germany by the way with a 5GB flat and I only used 300MB so far.

I did some testing and obviously when I connect via PC Suite the N900 switches to 3G immediately.

The same problem with bluetooth tethering.

Last edited by CutterSlade; 2010-04-24 at 17:36.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
Hi Guys,

Also, does anyone use Joikuspot? It sounds interesting, but don't want to shell out for it until I know its alright.

cheers
I use Joikuspot and it works well. I have never see it drop to 3G where there was a good 3.5G

You can get a free trail version which is limited to only http which you try to confirm your phone sticks on your 3.5G signal, then 9 euro for the premium version is worth it.

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany, near Hamburg
I reflashed my N900 today including eMMC and now I can use 3.5G all the time until now (only a few minutes).