Active Topics

Notices

Hi there,
Can somebody help me with setting up gPodder to sync the downloaded podcasts to my N900?

I selected the device directory after hooking up the N900 using USB Mass Storage Mode. Clicked sync and I got a message that "Can Not Close Device"

I found out that the files are in the directory I selected but they don't appear in the Podcasts section in gPodder!

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by fhmutairi View Post
Can somebody help me with setting up gPodder to sync the downloaded podcasts to my N900?

I selected the device directory after hooking up the N900 using USB Mass Storage Mode. Clicked sync and I got a message that "Can Not Close Device"

I found out that the files are in the directory I selected but they don't appear in the Podcasts section in gPodder!
Synchronizing episode files in gPodder on the Desktop only copies the file, not the metadata. For metadata (subscriptions, etc..) you want to use the my.gpodder.org service, or set up rsync to copy ~/.config/gpodder on your PC to ~/.config/gpodder on the device + rsync the downloads folder to ~/MyDocs/Podcasts/ on the device.

I tried to use the my.gpodder.org after I sync the files to my N900 it downloaded the subscriptions etc.. but it didn't recognize the files in the Podcasts directory and I had to download the files again!

I have an alternate configuration I would like to explore.....I was going to start a new thread but saw this on so I figured I would see if it made sense to ask this here....sorry if it seems like a hijack.

Why not do this...
Install gpodder for Wintel on the N900 file system. Configure it so it downloads podcasts to the same folder as the N900 Gpodder install, and configure it to use that same database for metadata as the N900 Install.

You could not run both the N900 gpodder and the PC gpodder at the same time because I don't think the file system would mount.

When you plug the N900 into the PC....run gpodder on the PC from the N900....download what you like. Close out of the app and when you disconnect, you run gpodder on the N900. Both instances share the downloaded podcasts and Metadata db.

I have not had the time to try this but I do wish to. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.....

The Following User Says Thank You to kamishki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by kamishki View Post
Install gpodder for Wintel on the N900 file system. Configure it so it downloads podcasts to the same folder as the N900 Gpodder install, and configure it to use that same database for metadata as the N900 Install.

You could not run both the N900 gpodder and the PC gpodder at the same time because I don't think the file system would mount.

When you plug the N900 into the PC....run gpodder on the PC from the N900....download what you like. Close out of the app and when you disconnect, you run gpodder on the N900. Both instances share the downloaded podcasts and Metadata db.

I have not had the time to try this but I do wish to. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.....
Yes, it's possible using the environment variables GPODDER_HOME and GPODDER_DOWNLOAD_DIR. You would have to copy the data from ~/.config/gpodder into a folder below MyDocs and then make sure that both environment variables are picked up by both the Windows version and the N900 version and that they point to the same folders (somewhere below MyDocs). PM me if you need more specific instructions