Notices

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Carlisle, PA
I was curious to see if anyone else was using DVDFab with good results and to throw it out there as another option. There is a free version which is what I am using and so far so good. I just need to get the right resolution and size combination. I like the fact that I only need one program to copy purchased dvds to the pc and then to convert to mobile media. I was going to use handbrake like mentioned in the wiki but I still needed to take off the copy protection and found dvdfab does both.

The movie I messed with so far was Disney G-Force and I converted just the main movie and it came out to under 800mb. I need to do like I said and change settings for resolution but it played smooth and the audio was synced. Maybe I will make a video or tutorial on it and add it to the wiki when I get time once I get the settings perfected.

Just thought I would throw this out there.

I would use dvdfab to rip my dvd but megui or similar to do the encoding to a .MP4 Container with .H264 video and AAC Audio for the optimal size/quality file.

A few toturials about for using handbrake to encode, but MeGUI is a lot better than handbrake IMO, you can juse use the iphone preset for MeGUI and it will work fine.

I will try the megui also. I have had good luck with dvdfab so far. It converts to mp4 .h264 and aac. I converted The Hangover and 9 just the main movies and the hangover was right around 984Mb and 8 was around 650Mb.

oh if it does h264 and aac now and its working not much reason to use another program. all programs are using the same .exe to do the encoding just some are smarter and more customizable in how they do it.

But since the N900 can only use baseline 3.0 profile the customize part is not too much a deal.

x264 is the .exe all programs will use, AAC does have a few different ones the one you want is NeroAACEnc.exe nero is the best, use LC profile anywhere from 32kb/s - 192kb/s (yeah 32kb/s actually sounds good for movies in AAC its well compressed, HC profile even more so is made for low bitrates) just a general rule of thumb I follow is AAC is 2x better than MP3 so 32kb/s ~=64kb/s MP3 but its actually better since its in the low bitrate catagory.

Try SUPER aswell, it's freeware:
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

It's pretty advanced but after a few tries it becomes friendly and easy to use.

I thought about trying super but the one thing is you still need dvd decrypter to copy the purchased dvd to the computer and then use super to encode it. Dvdfab does both of these.

Hi

Can somebody help to describe settings to dvdfab to make optimal video from DVD to n900.
I try once, picture quality was good, but audio was missing. What might went wrong.

Last edited by phonkonen; 2010-02-03 at 11:23.

Originally Posted by NUTNDUN View Post
I was curious to see if anyone else was using DVDFab with good results and to throw it out there as another option. There is a free version which is what I am using and so far so good. I just need to get the right resolution and size combination. I like the fact that I only need one program to copy purchased dvds to the pc and then to convert to mobile media. I was going to use handbrake like mentioned in the wiki but I still needed to take off the copy protection and found dvdfab does both.

The movie I messed with so far was Disney G-Force and I converted just the main movie and it came out to under 800mb. I need to do like I said and change settings for resolution but it played smooth and the audio was synced. Maybe I will make a video or tutorial on it and add it to the wiki when I get time once I get the settings perfected.

Just thought I would throw this out there.
Hi

Yeah I tried DVDFAB5 and it worked well on phone and tv via the jack.
The only problem I have is how to make the video the full size of the screen.I used the ipod option maybe I should have done something else!
Any ideas anybody

Cheers in advance