Active Topics

Hey!

I try to find out how well the N900 works with our Exchange 2007 Server.
If anyone could help me with a test, I could answer an important question for us:
How does the N900 answer to e-mails. Does it send the whole mail with original body to the server or just the changes and let the server compile the rest, like Windows Phone, Android 2.0 and MfE do?
It would be great if I could send anyone with an Exchange 2007 account an HTML formatted e-mail from Outlook 2007 and let him answer to it.

Please send me an PM with your e-mail address and I will send you short test e-mail to reply to.

Thx! :-)

it does not work, the official responce i got, was "if you are lucky"

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Washington, DC
Wrong. MfE on the N900 is expected to work with Exchange 2007.

What you would get lucky with is if you got it to work with Exchange 2003 or GMail, which are not supported at this time.

As for the OP, I'm not sure, I haven't tried synching it to my company's Exchange server yet, but I did want to clear up that 2007 _is_ supported.

Wrong. MfE on the N900 is expected to work with Exchange 2007

"expected" what exactly does that mean? My server is mfe2003, not working. I have tried it on some of my clients 2007 boxes, not working, i have tried it on sbs2007, not working. There are some guys here who have it partially working, they have had to import certs, and countless other stuff on the servers. What chance has the average joe got? nada. I have heard no-one confirm subfolders work.
I thing this is a terrific geek device, but it is nowhere nearly ready for consumers. a lot will be returned.........imo.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by nokiafarce View Post
I have heard no-one confirm subfolders work.
Subfolders work.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA

"expected" what exactly does that mean?...
Yeah, I know what you mean. I "expected" people to stay out of threads unless they can answer the OP's question with "factual" information... I was disappointed with that too.

melino,
As others have stated MfE on the N900 works well with Exchange 2007 Server and supports sub-folders... I'm not sure what you mean by "server compile the rest".
Do you mean replies to originally formatted questions?

SLN member # 009

Windows Phones interact with Exchange server this way:

When you reply to an e-mail the phone just sends what you have written. The server receives this (short) answer text and compiles a full email including the original text, attachments etc. and sends it outside. This means:
If e.g. a hugh HTML email arrives, lets say with 1MB embedded pictures etc., the phone doesn't need to download the e-mail in full. Maybe just the first two sentences are enough for you to know what is the topic and you can forward it to an college. Even if the attachments are 30mb the e-mail is forwarded with in seconds while you are online with a slow mobile connection.

Most annoying of the iPhone is the fact, that e-mails are replied from the device (most people expect it this way, I know). But when it comes to HTML it results in a ugly reply with missplaced pictures and random fonts and sizes etc.

Sometimes I use a Palm Treo 750 to forward bigger attachments instead of my desktop computer, even if I am sitting in front of it.

As far as I know "Mail for Exchange" is much more clever than this and interacts the Ex2k7 similar to ActiveSync on WM devices.

So: what's the deal with the N900?

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Dec 2009
My NOKIA N900 does not work with exchange server 2007. NADA amigo. Its a useless device for me

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Dec 2009

"expected" what exactly does that mean? My server is mfe2003, not working. I have tried it on some of my clients 2007 boxes, not working, i have tried it on sbs2007, not working. There are some guys here who have it partially working, they have had to import certs, and countless other stuff on the servers. What chance has the average joe got? nada. I have heard no-one confirm subfolders work.
I thing this is a terrific geek device, but it is nowhere nearly ready for consumers. a lot will be returned.........imo.
I agree with your comments. Nokia F***** up again with this one

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by melino View Post
Windows Phones interact with Exchange server this way:

When you reply to an e-mail the phone just sends what you have written. The server receives this (short) answer text and compiles a full email including the original text, attachments etc. and sends it outside. This means:
If e.g. a hugh HTML email arrives, lets say with 1MB embedded pictures etc., the phone doesn't need to download the e-mail in full. Maybe just the first two sentences are enough for you to know what is the topic and you can forward it to an college. Even if the attachments are 30mb the e-mail is forwarded with in seconds while you are online with a slow mobile connection.

Most annoying of the iPhone is the fact, that e-mails are replied from the device (most people expect it this way, I know). But when it comes to HTML it results in a ugly reply with missplaced pictures and random fonts and sizes etc.

Sometimes I use a Palm Treo 750 to forward bigger attachments instead of my desktop computer, even if I am sitting in front of it.

As far as I know "Mail for Exchange" is much more clever than this and interacts the Ex2k7 similar to ActiveSync on WM devices.

So: what's the deal with the N900?
Short answer: I don't know.

However, your excellent question could be posted in this thread >> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=35136
for an answer by Vitali Repin, one of The Nokia developers of MfE implementation on the N900.

He could give you the most accurate answer.

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post: