Hello all

My n900 arrived a few days ago and my initial response is great. just one thing I'm struggling with: there's no software update button. on previous nokia phones there's always been a function that allowed to check for system updates.

could anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks

jc

Open up, "App. Manager" and click "Update".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post:
many thanks for the super quick response. I thought the update button would look only for app updates. will it also look for platform updates?

Welcome!

Also pay attention to the status bar on the top of the screen, youll see a flashing exclamation mark when new updates are available. Click to install them.

The Following User Says Thank You to travik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 384 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
Originally Posted by n900faniam View Post
many thanks for the super quick response. I thought the update button would look only for app updates. will it also look for platform updates?
yes! will look for all the updates from enabled repositoryes.

The Following User Says Thank You to puiradu For This Useful Post:
thanks travik, the phone is starting to make sense. are updates made available very often? I've been told that updates are quite frequent

cheers

jc

Some third party software updates daily. Be warned though if you tap on the '!' and don't install the update the N900 won't alert you an update is available again, you'll have to manually 'check for updates' from Application Manager.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dynomot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 378 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by n900faniam View Post
thanks travik, the phone is starting to make sense. are updates made available very often? I've been told that updates are quite frequent

cheers

jc
Lets just say that ive seen more updates on the n900 through 5 months, then i saw on my n95 through 2 years.

The Following User Says Thank You to mthmob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
That's dangerous ground there, my friend.

Like most companies, Nokia generally doesn't announce update timeframes.

The only thing that Nokia's announced other than PR1.2 is that the N900 Ovi services are going into beta.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following User Says Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
You can also use the application AppWatch to see what updates/additions has been made to certain repositories - regardless if you have the app installed or not.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post: