Active Topics

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Washington, DC
Sorry...the device has been sold.

Hi, I bought an n810, and while it's a great device, I honestly don't prefer it over my n800. I think I've taken it out of the box maybe three or four times.

I have most everything that came with it, although I can't find an instruction manual (which really is superflous, the device is super well laid-out) and the nokia install cd (which you can download from Nokia).

All the car-mount stuff is unopened (I never had any desire to put it in my car).

With the price dropping today, I was thinking $300 dollars for it (but if people tell me I'm crazy I'm willing to negotiate).

I figured before I craigslisted it, I'd post an ad here. I'd like to see it go to a good home (and I love this site).

I live in DC, so anyone in the Southern Maryland, Northern Virginia, or DC area who is interested, please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited by switchfiend; 2008-03-19 at 02:46.

Originally Posted by switchfiend View Post
With the price dropping today, I was thinking $300 dollars for it (but if people tell me I'm crazy I'm willing to negotiate).

You're crazy.

Haha just kidding : )

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
I'd be interested to see how much the car mount alone would go for

I would be interested in the car mount as well if you chose to let it go separately.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Richmond, VA, USA
Originally Posted by switchfiend View Post
Hi, I bought an n810, and while it's a great device, I honestly don't prefer it over my n800. I think I've taken it out of the box maybe three or four times.

I live in DC, so anyone in the Southern Maryland, Northern Virginia, or DC area who is interested, please let me know.
Swithfiend,

I work in the Rockville area and usually head home to Richmond on Thursday nights (roadcoder... long story). Anyway, I'm definitely interested and could pay cash if the condition is exactly as you describe it.

Feel free to IM me at my AIM identity if you're still sell and want to discuss.

For general interest, since you own both devices, why do you prefer he n800 over the n810?

Cheers,
Etienne

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Washington, DC
If I didn't have either, I would probably have still bought the n810.
For the most part, the three main benefits of the n810 vs. the n800 are the integrated keyboard, built-in gps, and the form factor.

When I bought my n800, I bought a stowaway bluetooth keyboard, which I am surprised by how much I like. If I'm just taking my n800 in my pocket, than I can live with the text input, but when I take my "man-purse" with me, packing the extra keyboard doesn't really add much to it.

I don't really have a use for the gps (I might be in the minority); and as to the form factor, while the n810 definitely feels better constructed and is I think slightly smaller, I really didn't have any issues with the n800 form factor.

Now, I knew all of this before I bought the n810; so you might ask why I still went ahead and bought it...

Two reasons, first I wasn't sure that they really were going to port the 2008 OS to the N800 and thought it looked much slicker.

That wasn't the main reason though...The main reason was that I was flying home for thanksgiving to stay with my family, and desperately wanted a new shiny toy to play with on the trip.

That's what I get for being addicted to technology

I'll PM you my contact info.

Originally Posted by JELaVallee View Post
Swithfiend,

I work in the Rockville area and usually head home to Richmond on Thursday nights (roadcoder... long story). Anyway, I'm definitely interested and could pay cash if the condition is exactly as you describe it.

Feel free to IM me at my AIM identity if you're still sell and want to discuss.

For general interest, since you own both devices, why do you prefer he n800 over the n810?

Cheers,
Etienne

You mean you bought a toy just to have a toy! Scandalous... Hehehe...

I have a bin at home my wife calls the "Island of unwanted toys" that serves as the landing ground for once-was-cool technology prior to a second life with some random ebay-buyer. Ironically, since doing the PC-to-Linux-to-MacOS "long switch" over the past ~8 years, I'm finding that in my MacBook Pro induced bliss I'm pretty happy with just the MBP, my iPod 5G, and my Treo 700p.

Haven't drank the iTouchPhone koolaid yet, tho... too many hobbling issues for my tastes. And as a phone++, my Treo really is a perfect fit, but a horrible... HORRIBLE web browsing device (even with the Opera crash-box upgrade).

So that's my primary motivation for the n810... a light way, wifi/bt-bridgeable, FF-based browsing device that I can use as a rich-client to my home media server (Mac Mini w/ Twonky UPnP MediaServer) and blog on. The GPS is a superflous extra, but it may motivate me to make a Google Maps richclient for the thing.

Cool... where's that PM? 8^)

cheers,
Etienne

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
Originally Posted by JELaVallee View Post
Ironically, since doing the PC-to-Linux-to-MacOS "long switch" over the past ~8 years, I'm finding that in my MacBook Pro induced bliss I'm pretty happy with just the MBP, my iPod 5G, and my Treo 700p.
- i did the CP/M-DOS-MacOS-Linux-MacOS route, but i find your logic strangely familiar...

(happily sitting in front of a 2.4GHz 20" iMac, but using my n800 in the hour before sleep at the bedside - love my n800!)

Haha... yeah... I didn't include the Z80-CommodorePET-C64-DEC-NeXT- prepender in there... but it's nice to be settling into hardware that has become truly transparent to the experience.

My Ubuntu Feisty ThinkPad T43p was a very nice predecessor to "Straylight" (my MBP... yeah... I name my machines, so sue me ), but the minute I opened my MBP and dove in, I never wanted to go back.

Time will tell if I feel the same about my forth coming N810 ("Tabula" or "Twiddle" not sure which yet...).

Fidget, Fidget,
Etienne