Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
I am just wondering, in the future, NOKIA finally release N9,

As we all know, N9 use MeeGo OS, but probaberly use Nokia's own UI.

And then, if there comes a pop App to MeeGo, that Maemo 5 do not have, such as Shazam MeeGo Edition.

Then, my question is can this Application run on the N900 with Harmattan-HE installed properly ?

Can I download the app from the OVI store for N9 directly and install it on N900 ?

Or I have to modify the source code of the App, then I can run this app on N900 ?

Anyone can help me on this ? Thanks.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 164 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Chateauroux, FRANCE
we can't know ATM so make like everybody here:
wait and see !

and please stop flooding the forum with such speculative threads.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Maybe you just ask all the questions in one thread and wouldn't do thousand of them with whole question in title and just no info in thread (the other similuar thread u made today)

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
you seem to be a bit confused with the Names (which is understandable), so i'll try to clarify things a bit:
there will be no MeeGo-Harmattan for the N900.

The Hacker's Edition of MeeGo will not be based on Harmattan, but on "pure" MeeGo.

edit: disregard that, apparently it will be based on MeeGo proper, but with the Harmattan UX on top (not it's core though). sorry

Harmattan is an "instance" of MeeGo which will ship on the N9, but it's not MeeGo proper, it's a hybrid between Maemo 6 (=Harmattan) and MeeGo.
That means, internally it's Maemo 6 (debian based and all), but it will provide a MeeGo Compatibility Layer, to make it behave exactly like MeeGo from a Software Developer's point of view.

Now, the decision to market this System as Nokia's first MeeGo System is a bit... adventurous... and causes all sorts of confusion, but i figure Nokia wanted to get the Brand going.

and to answer your question: Qt Apps will most likely work on both Systems, the effort to port a Qt based Software which was written for the N9 to the N900 should be trivial.

but since the N9 isn't out yet (not even announced), that's all pure speculation. you won't get any definitive answers for now.

Last edited by SubCore; 2010-10-19 at 12:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
you seem to be a bit confused with the Names (which is understandable), so i'll try to clarify things a bit:
there will be no MeeGo-Harmattan for the N900.
I've obviously missed the announcement of that project's cancellation. Would you be able to provide a link, please?

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I've obviously missed the announcement of that project's cancellation. Would you be able to provide a link, please?
that's why i edited my post, marked it red and wrote to disregard that part
talk about confusion...

as far as i understand it, there will be 3 flavours of Nokia-MeeGo in 2011:
MeeGo-Harmattan HE on the N900 (Meego Core with Harmattan UX)
MeeGo-Harmattan on the N9 (Maemo Core, Harmattan UX)
MeeGo proper on the N9's successor (though that probably won't happen in 2011).

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
There are no official(as in end user support by Nokia) MeeGos for N900, but there are two community projects:

1. MeeGo proper (MeeGo core + MeeGo reference UX), this is done under the MeeGo project with the N900 as an official "reference device" with a professional team doing the porting.

2. MeeGo-Harmattan HE (Maemo 6 core + Nokia MeeGo UX), this is to bring the software on the N900 successor to the N900, including the proprietary bits. Work on this hasn't started yet as there's not even a platform SDK out. Can possibly benefit from the hardware adaptation work done for 1)

That's how I see it.. again, someone please correct if I'm wrong.

On-topic:

If MeeGo-Harmattan HE works out, applications for the N900 successor should work. What AFAIK no-one in the know still hasn't elaborated on is the implications of the security framework, open and closed modes etc. This might possibly have effects regarding Ovi Store and commercial software for example.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post: