Active Topics

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ North-west, UK
My N900 has the PR1.2 '203' variant, and when I ask it to check for updates, the two Nokia and one Ovi repo. all fail to update with an error of (in 'detail') 'Proxy CONNECT aborted'.
If I swap from Vodafone GPRS to my local WiFi, then the refresh succeeds fine, so it's not that the repos are offline, it's something up with Vodafone UK.

Can anyone confirm or even better shed some light on what is up ?

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
hehe, that happenned on the first update so i flashed to global - no problems since
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tomchiverton View Post
My N900 has the PR1.2 '203' variant, and when I ask it to check for updates, the two Nokia and one Ovi repo. all fail to update with an error of (in 'detail') 'Proxy CONNECT aborted'.
If I swap from Vodafone GPRS to my local WiFi, then the refresh succeeds fine, so it's not that the repos are offline, it's something up with Vodafone UK.

Can anyone confirm or even better shed some light on what is up ?
I presume you were not offered the PR1.3? I also have the dreaded 203 variant, thinking about going global as I still haven't been offered the update.

The Following User Says Thank You to cmczzzzz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
check via wifi to confirm your theory first
edit i was offered - but only to install via nokia suite though :P (probably due to rootfs space - back on wireless now and installing as i type)
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

I'm on the global firmware using a Vodafone sim, and I haven't been offered the update via wi-fi or the GPRS connection yet either. So maybe it's just not our time yet. For what it's worth, I don't get any proxy blocked error message using the GPRS connection to check the Nokia repos.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Originally Posted by cmczzzzz View Post
I presume you were not offered the PR1.3? I also have the dreaded 203 variant, thinking about going global as I still haven't been offered the update.
I got impatient and decided to switch to global firmware, worked a treat. I did a backup first and restored after refllashing:

C:\Program Files\maemo\flasher-3.5>flasher-3.5.exe -F c:\RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ North-west, UK
Is anything different with the global firmware ? i.e. allowed WiFi frequencies etc. ?

Originally Posted by tomchiverton View Post
Is anything different with the global firmware ? i.e. allowed WiFi frequencies etc. ?
Yep, one or more of the higher wifi channels is not used in the global firmware. Can't remember if its just channel 13 or others too.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
Yep, one or more of the higher wifi channels is not used in the global firmware. Can't remember if its just channel 13 or others too.
You're thinking of bug 5699, which affects both the global and 203 variants equally.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
You're thinking of bug 5699, which affects both the global and 203 variants equally.
Ah, could be. I shifted my AP up to a high channel number and the N900 followed it when it changed. However it wouldn't use the same channel after a reboot, which seemed a bit odd.

I wasn't aware of that particular bug report.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.