Posts: 101 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Dallas TX
I'm in Dallas doing a 2 day Qt course given by nokia, they give us a c7 phone to play with it.

Today they announced that the best app running on one of these phones would win special prizes, maybe its a tshirt, maybe its an n8, someone even said it could be a nokia netbook.

the point is, i was wondering the the community could help me out, i have 0-1% experience with Qt Creator so if anyone could point me into a great tutorial or a starter app kit. anything really that could help me jump start a great app.

I want to start deving apps for the n900 on Qt and the more I learn the better the apps will be.

any help appreciated.

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
I suggest to use python with QT (=> PyQt).
I use it and it is very easy to learn and use.
If you need help, let me know.
I made already some apps with PyQt: SleepAnalyser,ShipRolling, Leo.

The easiest to start is by having a look on one of them. Leo is very small and basic.
I made the GUI with QtDesigner, the I had to run "pyuic4 -x helloworld.ui -o helloworld.py" to convert it into python code. If you use Linux, Eric is a good IDE which can do it automatically.

There is also a nice tutorial for windows: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43663
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

The Following User Says Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
thank you very much, i will work hard tonight to have something ready for tomorrow, Ill keep posting my advancments

thx a lot for the input!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Looking forward to new apps cheers

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
no dont use pyqt better use pyside atleast its more likely it may be supported by nokia in the future.

1. better license lgpl instead of pyqt gpl
2. pyside has support for qtquick not sure about pyqt has this?
3. some nokia engineers working on pyside so lhopefully python will be officially supported in the future symbians..... or maybe not...
4. meego has pyside

http://conference2010.meego.com/sess...lity-and-touch

http://thpmaemo.blogspot.com/2010/12...-workshop.html

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2010-12-17 at 00:31.

i was thinking of writing an app that will work like pyrotate and will allow for 360 ¤ rotation of the screen on symbian ^3, but im accepting ideas

ps i only got a couple of hours to work on it for tomorrow morning

Last edited by Dr.Marcial; 2010-12-17 at 02:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dr.Marcial For This Useful Post:
this may sound dumb, but I cant find anything about using python to develop on symbian^3, there is plenty of s60 3rd and 5th but not so much on the new Os

I would like to go with pyside but im not sure how to get it installed in my S^3 device

I ended up making an app call QtITCHEN helper. it handles groceries lists, and you can select the amount you need of each item and you can cross it out, it also has a couple of buttons that opens the browser to links like allrecipes.com and foodnetwrok.com

it was simple and fast to make in qt desinger
good news: I won first place
bad news: the price was another c7 phone..

its my first ever app, my helloworld! you could say and still needs lots of work.

ill do my best to publish it soon

Originally Posted by Dr.Marcial View Post
I ended up making an app call QtITCHEN helper. it handles groceries lists, and you can select the amount you need of each item and you can cross it out, it also has a couple of buttons that opens the browser to links like allrecipes.com and foodnetwrok.com

it was simple and fast to make in qt desinger
good news: I won first place
bad news: the price was another c7 phone..

its my first ever app, my helloworld! you could say and still needs lots of work.

ill do my best to publish it soon
awesome and congratulations, looking forward to the app.
awesome name aswell, I would have called it Qtchen unless ofcourse I too were itching to use Qt.