Posts: 25 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Kolding, Denmark
I currently live in Mexico but I am Danish, the N900 seem to be so much cheaper in the US then in Denmark so I'm thinking about going across the border and buying a N900 in the US instead of getting one from Denmark...
What I would like to know though is what the differences will be..:
As far as I've been able to find out the N900 will come in Denmark with a keyboard with "Æ,Ø and Å" is that true?
Will the OS software be different?
Will the dictionary for predictive texting support all languages no matter where you buy the device?
Thanks for the help..
Jesper

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
only the keyboard will be different

Hmm, won't the GSM frequency range be different? Or is it a triband device already? Maybe it is (even better if it was quad..) but come to think of it, I haven't really seen this mentioned.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
According to the specs, the N900 is quadband:

* Quad-band GSM EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
* WCDMA 900/1700/2100 MHz

Now I don't know if there will be a specific version for the US (or North America), with a reduced/another set of GSM frequencies?

hmm, another thought: wifi frequencies may be reduced in the US version, due to different regulatory domains (11 channels instead of the 13 available in Europe). I think that it's possible to override this limitation, but I guess that would be illegal...

Last edited by lorelei; 2009-10-19 at 09:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to lorelei For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Hmm, won't the GSM frequency range be different? Or is it a triband device already? Maybe it is (even better if it was quad..) but come to think of it, I haven't really seen this mentioned.
Indeed, it is quadband!

http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/

The Following User Says Thank You to bocaJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by jbh_denmark View Post
I currently live in Mexico but I am Danish, the N900 seem to be so much cheaper in the US then in Denmark so I'm thinking about going across the border and buying a N900 in the US instead of getting one from Denmark...
What I would like to know though is what the differences will be..:
As far as I've been able to find out the N900 will come in Denmark with a keyboard with "Æ,Ø and Å" is that true?
Will the OS software be different?
Will the dictionary for predictive texting support all languages no matter where you buy the device?
Thanks for the help..
Jesper
Yes, the danish keyboard will come with æ, ø and å - but at the expense of dedicated arrow keys. I'm danish too, and was thinking about getting a N900 from Denmark to get the "right keyboard" (I live in Australia atm.) - but after seeing the keyboard implementation, I'm going for the english version (at least when it lands down under in 2011 or thereabouts).

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Oh... I thought this thread was an American Werewolf in London parody. Sorry

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
US N800s and N810s, at least, don't support WiFi frequency 13, so bear that in mind if you plan on going back to Denmark soon. No idea how the N900 works in this regard, however.

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
I own a US bought N810 and I have no trouble using WiFi. Don't know if this helps.

Channel 13 isn't much used, unless the wi-fi AP owner is less clueless than usual and sets it to channel 13, to avoid interference. Most just leave it at default (6), or, for some APs, lets it choose its own channel (depending on what other APs it sees).

However, it would be strange if the wi-fi channel range is really hardware dependent. Dongles, for example, can be controlled with low-lever driver settings.

I'm a bit more interested in the 3G part though.. is 900/1700/2100 HSPA enough to cover 3G (or 3.5G really) everywhere? I'm sure I just saw a posting where someone pleaded Nokia to support "3G frequencies in Canada". Is that an issue?