Notices

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade, Serbia
Is there some app that will open .dwg files, or if you don't know, AutoCad files. I don't mean editing, just viewing.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Highly doubtful... but surely creating an app to view the DWF version shouldn't be too hard...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Unfortunately, while DXF is decently well supported under desktop Linux, to my knowledge, there is no currently-maintained Linux program to directly view or edit DWG. There is a reason for that, but I can't recall it off the top of my head. I ran into that issue when I downloaded the plans for my university, and ended up running a shareware converter in Wine, which was rather painful with that volume of files. If you can prove me wrong, I'd be happy, but I don't think you'll have much luck. Would it be practical for you to convert them once to, say, vector PDF, or is this an ongoing thing?

I tried some programs that converts .dwg file to .pdf, but the result was nothing good. Can you recommend some good program for that? Some program that will make pdf almost the same as dwg, i mean black background, line colors, and most important, to don't blur the image. By blur i mean when i zoom in, lines become weird.

Ah, it sounds like what you were using is rasterizing the DWG, even though PDF supports vector natively. To be honest, I can't remember what I used, and it was a really lousy demo version of a lousy Windows app that probably cost about $20-30. I'll see if I can find it again after I eat some lunch, but no promises. It wasn't a good solution, but it worked in a pinch. If I may ask, what is it that you need to view on the N900?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
DWF is AutoDesk's web-specific file format. I once wrote a Windows viewer/manager for these files.

There's some promising info on this wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_Web_Format

Originally Posted by white_ranger View Post
Can you recommend some good program for that? Some program that will make pdf almost the same as dwg, i mean black background, line colors, and most important, to don't blur the image. By blur i mean when i zoom in, lines become weird.
Print a pdf with Adobe out of AutoCAD (you only need to create a pen setting that will reflect your screen rather than black on white....
But I would love to have a dwg viewer as well. I seem to remember that there used to be on on symbian (I know it's not maemo....)

If I may ask, what is it that you need to view on the N900?
Sure, but it's not me who actually need it. My dad also has N900 and he need some program that will open autocad files.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Frankfurt, Germany
What about Blender? http://www.blender3darchitect.com/20...ing-dwg-files/
Blender runs in Easy Debian, so there is only the 3d-driver problem left...

Originally Posted by white_ranger View Post
Sure, but it's not me who actually need it. My dad also has N900 and he need some program that will open autocad files.
Yeah, I did a quick look into things, and the situation isn't good. To start with, the first relevant Google result for the query "dwg linux" is a program based on Qt2 (ancient history, if you're not familiar with it), and I'm not sure if that's even available anymore (edit: "that" being the program, not Qt2). From the Wikipedia page, it looks like Autodesk has been patent/trademark-trolling anyone who does anything to do with DWG for years. Here are some highlights (bad word choice, I know ):
From 1982 to 2007, Autodesk created versions of AutoCAD which wrote no fewer than 18 major variants of the DWG file format, none of which are publicly documented.
There are no open source viewers for DWG files since the licensing of the libraries needed by lx-viewer[38] now restricts their use to members of the Open Design Alliance.
The article does mention that the FSF has been working on library support for DWG (and probably doing a campaign of snarky slogans and stickers :P), which was partially functional at the time of writing. GNU Savannah page is here. Apparently it's written in C and... Esperento?!... Alrighty-then. I guess I'm not going to be reading the source. :P This is on the FSF's "high-priority FOSS replacement" list, so hopefully it will go somewhere useful. For the moment, though, I think you're out of luck unless you can convert it to a more open format.

Last edited by jaem; 2010-02-05 at 07:02. Reason: disambiguation

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: