Active Topics

Notices

I am looking for good Word Processor for Maemo (Nokia n800 or n810 with newest system). Previously I was using PDAs with PalmOS and Windows Mobile, so I accustomed to using such software as Documents to Go or TextMaker.
I need good support of standard formats, such as *.doc or *.odt. Unfortunately I found out that AbiWord has manner to destroy document's formatting. For example when I have footnote inside of paragraph it puts an "enter" right there...This is most painful for me, especially if document is long, with many footnotes.

Is there any alternative (or way to make AW working correctly)? I know about OO.o port for Maemo, but as far I know it runs like on vintage Pentium 75MHz with 32MB of RAM.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
After waiting for OOo writer to start in easy debian on your maemo4 device, you'll find it's responsive enough to do some pretty serious work. Two minutes roughly before you're ready to go.

If you don't need formatting, at least in the first phases when you're only composing your document, try notecase from http://notecase.sourceforge.net/

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
After waiting for OOo writer to start in easy debian on your maemo4 device, you'll find it's responsive enough to do some pretty serious work. Two minutes roughly before you're ready to go.
Two minutes... You know... This is enough to take out my laptop from case, open it, find the "piece of table" near by, boot the system and run word processor.
The key thing in small devices, like WM/PalmOS PDAs or Nokias with Maemo is fact, that you can do things almost instantly. Without warring about place to work, because you can do necessary adjustments in your documents during standing in line for example.

If you don't need formatting, at least in the first phases when you're only composing your document, try notecase from http://notecase.sourceforge.net/
Is it *.doc or at least *.odt documents compatible?
In fact I don't need complex formatting functions. I don't expect from mobile word processor to show document so good like on "full size" PC. All I want is simply to not destroy my work by messing with paragraphs, footnotes etc.

Word Mobile from WM is goog example. Little software that in fact can't do anything except writing and elementary (very, very elementary) formatting. You can't even see your footnotes! But all those things that you can't see on mobile device remain intact when document is saving.

Last edited by atlantis86; 2009-10-31 at 13:00.

Definitely it would be very good to have open office on the N900, even better would be a faster version, one that you don’t need to wait two minutes to start. Also it would be good if it doesn’t came with a huge amount of icons so that you could have more work space.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Notecase is not for odt or doc. It's an outliner with the possibility of minimal formatting and exporting in plain text or html (which every word processor will open retaining formatting).

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ italy
why not abiword???
the new version is fully functional without evident bugs

AbiCollab could also be interesting to use with AbiWord

http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/10...iter?art_pos=1

I think it's about time I gave AbiWord another try

Originally Posted by pinguino89 View Post
why not abiword???
the new version is fully functional without evident bugs
pinguino89, are you saying abiword 2.7.6-0hub3 does not crash on your tablet? if so, i'll give it another try as well.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ italy
so, the latest verison, (yes the 2.7.3) does not crash (never for me) but, it can create problem if you change some parameters that will be open in the next launch (such as -in example- the view to "print layout"), in fact it will charge forever and never load...

you resolve the problem deleting the .AbiwordSuite directory (deleting the settings and let the app open)

in xTerm, gain root and write:

Code:
 rm -r /home/user/.AbiSuite
or use emelFM, for example

The Following User Says Thank You to pinguino89 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by atlantis86 View Post
Two minutes... You know... This is enough to take out my laptop from case, open it, find the "piece of table" near by, boot the system and run word processor.
The key thing in small devices, like WM/PalmOS PDAs or Nokias with Maemo is fact, that you can do things almost instantly. Without warring about place to work, because you can do necessary adjustments in your documents during standing in line for example.
I've found a little planning ahead works for me. I always have easydeb running and o-o up and running, and when I need it, it's there. It's not a perfect solution, but it works for me. And whipping it out in an airport and working on a paper is easy.

However, much better is latex. So, does anyone know the status of maemotex? And if there isn't one, is anyone interested in working towards making it work again on the N900?