Posts: 247 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
I'd like to listen to and manage my podcasts. I don't see how to do this. For Instance, I don't see how to delete a FILE from the Media Player.

What I did on my E90 (which had no native "podcatcher") was as follows:
.) Move the latest "batch" of files from my PC to a subdirectory on my E90.
.) Create a playlist of all files in that specific subdirectory (this was naturally sorted by date)
.) Listen to Podcasts
.) Delete podcasts I've listened to from the Playlist:

Edit: What I want to be able to do is:
.) D/L the latest podcasts; adding to what's on my N900
.) Listen to podcasts
.) Delete individual podcasts after listening

Last edited by RWFarley; 2009-12-22 at 22:24.

... oops <Tab> doesn't seem to work ...
Continuing
.) Delete podcasts I've listened to from the Playlist:
{Select podcasts in playlist}
<Shift><Del> to delete the FILES from the E90

I don't see how to:
1) Create a single playlist from gPodder sorted by date
2) Delete the files I've listened to.

This is complicated by the fact that many files have names like "010CCECB-podcast-775-5004453.mp3"

Any help would be appreciated!

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
I'm not sure about the playlist thing, but deleting podcasts is a fairly simple job which can be done either by going to the podcast episode from within gPodder and choosing 'Delete' from the top bar menu. Or via the file manager - gPodder creates a folder named 'Podcast' in the N900 (MyDocs) directory.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
I have to mention - I was surprised today when i saw that gPodder works GREAT in portrait mode

Originally Posted by ae0n View Post
I'm not sure about the playlist thing, but deleting podcasts is a fairly simple job which can be done either by going to the podcast episode from within gPodder and choosing 'Delete' from the top bar menu. Or via the file manager - gPodder creates a folder named 'Podcast' in the N900 (MyDocs) directory.
This is absolutely useless. gPodder scatters the files in a multitude of sub-directories, and there are multiple files in each. I just listened to 3 German news stories, and have Media Player open. So now I'm supoposed to open a different App, and navigate multiple subdirectories, and guess which files to delete?

I SHOULD be able to select the entries from the Playlist and delete the files { <Cntl><Bksp>?} from there.

There are two steps missing that would make podcasts "work" on the N900:
1) Create Playlist by sub-directory - including daughters.
2) The ability to delete the podcast filess as you listen to them.

Without those, I'm forced to not D/L content until I guess that I've listened to most of them, delete a bunch of files, then D/L and HOPE that "Recent" is a good listing of the new content.

Originally Posted by RWFarley View Post
There are two steps missing that would make podcasts "work" on the N900:
1) Create Playlist by sub-directory - including daughters.
2) The ability to delete the podcast filess as you listen to them.

Without those, I'm forced to not D/L content until I guess that I've listened to most of them, delete a bunch of files, then D/L and HOPE that "Recent" is a good listing of the new content.
At 5:00am each day, my DVR downloads my podcasts for the day to a directory named YYYY-MM-DD and creates a playlist in that directory named YYYY-MM-DD.m3u then uses scp to put the directory on my n900. By the time I get up, the playlist will be in the n900 media player.

These directories pile up a bit as I don't get to every podcast every day. Each playlist shows up and can be selected and each file shows up when the playlist is selected. When I am done with a playlist, I just:
Code:
rm -r YYYY-MM-DD
I am not sure how long it takes for the playlist to disapear from the list of playlists on the media player.

I'm using gPodder and I've found part of a kludge that may help, but it isn't working yet.

I can get a playlist with the command:
cat *.m3u > AllPlay.m3u
of course this is after a lot of pwd cd commands.

I'm trying to get a script to run this
rm AllPlay.m3u
cat *.m3u > AllPlay.m3u
but I can't get
chmod 755 DoList.bat
to modify the permissions.

This still leaves me without the ability to delete files as I listen to them FROM THE PLAYLIST.

PS
If the ">" works correctly {as opposed to >>}, this should only be a one line script.

Originally Posted by RWFarley View Post
I'm using gPodder and I've found part of a kludge that may help, but it isn't working yet.

I can get a playlist with the command:
cat *.m3u > AllPlay.m3u
of course this is after a lot of pwd cd commands.

I'm trying to get a script to run this
rm AllPlay.m3u
cat *.m3u > AllPlay.m3u
but I can't get
chmod 755 DoList.bat
to modify the permissions.

This still leaves me without the ability to delete files as I listen to them FROM THE PLAYLIST.
What type of file system is DoList.bat on? Is it in Mydocs? FAT filesystems do no support unix file permissions.

The ">" operator truncates files on my n900, ">>" of course appends.

I haven't used the Media Player automatically generated playlists, but have you tried the "Never Played" one to look for podcasts that you have missed?