Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Posting this in Off Topic for two reasons: a) much of it could apply to any/every new Fancy Widget one might be expecting, and b) I want it to stay extremely basic for us bears of very little brain.

I'm trying hard not to get filled with excitiement about the imminent arrival of my new friend, but it seems like today (when I have a bit of free time) might be a good time to do some of the Basic Things to prepare for the new baby (you know - paint the nursery, knit booties, that kind of things). So I thought we might together compile a very basic Bear's Guide to getting ready.

Help please!

1) Sync data. I'm assuming that the nokia pc software can read contacts and calendar data if I sync my current phone to a clean version of Outlook. Now might also be a good time to clear out my contacts and delete duplicates and the deceased. If n900 cannot sync with Outlook - please let me know! Interesting question: I already have nokia pc suite running (for the n95) - will the n900 need a different version? And will they conflict?

2) Assemble passwords. The password key for the network (on a handy card... if it were only handy) and the passwords for the external network drive. Will n900 detect that? Or will I need to install something to read the extra drives? The passwords for my email accounts.

3) Collect settings. A standard 'phone' will collect all the settings it needs from a sim card. I fear n900 may not: so I shall make a note of internet settings, sms settings, answerphone number etc before I remove the card from my current phone.

4) Sort music and decide which is going on the n900. Separate from DRM stuff. Possibly check cover art is enabled.

5) Applications:

5.1) I shall probably d/l docs-to-go fairly soon, though I'd rather have koffice. Can someone tell me the status of that?

5.2) I also understand there's a newer version of Mauku with greater functionality. Is that available for bears yet? Or still only in the hands of the Wise?

5.3) I fancy Pixelpipe as it claims to have a connection to tumblr. I need to check that out, as tumblr is terribly slow picking up from things like twitter. I may be better off creating a flickr account as I've seen that work very swiftly. I will depend how pixelpipe actually works.

5.4) I've been following the discussion about my Bible very faithfully. Can anyone tell me whether there's a version they'd risk in my bear paws yet? If so, I'm up for testing.

5.5) Same as Bible for mirror

5.6) Same as Bible for photo frame.

5.7) Same as Bible for liqtorch

5.8) I was really taken with Lcuk's postcard app - any news on the status for bear users? (I also think he should write Liqphoto as an editing programme on the liqbase platform... if I win the euromillions tonight, I shall sponsor him!)

5.9) I shall probably d/l Bounce just for the hell of it, though I believe n900 comes with Mahjong. Is there a decent pack of cards lying around anywhere for playing patience/solitaire with?

So what else do I need to be doing? (Aside from trying not to hyperventilate).

Spamming my own thread: thought of another one.

6) Creating some video material. What should I use to rip a dvd? What settings? And how big a file will I end up with?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
2) Assemble passwords. The password key for the network (on a handy card... if it were only handy) and the passwords for the external network drive. Will n900 detect that? Or will I need to install something to read the extra drives? The passwords for my email accounts.
This depends on the network drive. If it supports FTP or UPnP/DLNA then you will be able to access it. If it appears as a Windows share or a NFS share, then it won't work out of the box.

3) Collect settings. A standard 'phone' will collect all the settings it needs from a sim card. I fear n900 may not: so I shall make a note of internet settings, sms settings, answerphone number etc before I remove the card from my current phone.
Don't worry about this. The settings from your SIM card will be used. There's no need to configure the 3G internet access point or the SMS settings.

4) Sort music and decide which is going on the n900. Separate from DRM stuff. Possibly check cover art is enabled.
A good idea.

5.5) Same as Bible for mirror

5.6) Same as Bible for photo frame.

5.7) Same as Bible for liqtorch
They should be available in the extras repository soon.

So what else do I need to be doing? (Aside from trying not to hyperventilate).
Get some tissue paper ready because the device will make you drool over it.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHY,.....
Hope it arrives soonnnnnnnnnnn.

make awish

Pippo

How old are you? ...or should I not ask such a question

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
This depends on the network drive. If it supports FTP or UPnP/DLNA then you will be able to access it. If it appears as a Windows share or a NFS share, then it won't work out of the box.
How the heck do I find out? I've attached an image of what it looks like for advice!

Don't worry about this. The settings from your SIM card will be used. There's no need to configure the 3G internet access point or the SMS settings.
Brilliant. Good to know that. Thanks

They should be available in the extras repository soon.
Great news. I look forward to playing with them.

Originally Posted by robbie View Post
More tips here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33506
Excellent resource. Thanks!

Originally Posted by pippo View Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHY,.....
Hope it arrives soonnnnnnnnnnn.

make awish

Pippo
Thanks. :-) I've had a good day. All that's missing is a shipping email from Amazon. Though they do still say shipping Monday.

Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
How old are you? ...or should I not ask such a question
http://revdkathy.tumblr.com/post/227761296

Thanks all!
Attached Images

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
1) Sync data. I'm assuming that the nokia pc software can read contacts and calendar data if I sync my current phone to a clean version of Outlook. Now might also be a good time to clear out my contacts and delete duplicates and the deceased. If n900 cannot sync with Outlook - please let me know! Interesting question: I already have nokia pc suite running (for the n95) - will the n900 need a different version? And will they conflict?
Do a last major sync into OL; use the Import/Export funtion (under File) to make a backup of the entire Personal Folder (.pst) including all subfolders (which would grab calendar, contacts, etc.). Save to a USB memory key and your local PC for backup and a restore point.

Then clear out the unneeded contacts and setup PC Suite to sync them to the N900.
The newer version of PC Suite will overwrite the old one, that won't effect your data at all.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Hi Kathy,
first: thanks for keeping us all smiling with your posts & glad you are having fun. Happy Birthday! (had to wish you that now don't I?)

Regards your drive: unfortunately Vista wraps up what you have in an icon so we can't tell what you have. If you can see the device itself can you find a make and model maybe to post here so we can check for you?

Fingers crossed for your Monday shipment: definately worth the wait. Make sure you take time out to have fun when it arrives without distraction.

Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Hi Kathy,
first: thanks for keeping us all smiling with your posts & glad you are having fun. Happy Birthday! (had to wish you that now don't I?)
Thank you! Great so far.

Regards your drive: unfortunately Vista wraps up what you have in an icon so we can't tell what you have. If you can see the device itself can you find a make and model maybe to post here so we can check for you?

Fingers crossed for your Monday shipment: definately worth the wait. Make sure you take time out to have fun when it arrives without distraction.
*Slaps Vista* I do so enjoy doing that

The device is a freecom 500gb network drive. That's all it says, I'm afraid. It came with a 'Freecom network storage' assistant which I installed on two of the computers. I have a feeling I didn't bother with the netbook, and XP just picked it up.

At the end of the day, it's not a huge problem right now: I shall transfer music via usb, and even with docs-to-go won't be trying to edit office files from the drive. That just leaves the odds and ends like the pictures.