I'm trying to decide whether to replace my N810 with a N900 and the one thing that would convince me is to get true video calling over 3G to a desktop Skype client. I was always disappointed that the N810 video calling couldn't connect to a desktop client, and that I only discovered this limitation after purchasing the N810.

So can some N900 owner please tell me whether it is possible to make a Skype video call between a Windows PC with the Skype desktop client and the N900 using T-Mobile prepaid 3G service?

Thank you!

Last edited by branchingfactor; 2010-06-22 at 18:51.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Skype video chat to desktop windows and linux client works on wifi. Front facing camera isn't that great but it works.

I haven't tried over 3G tmo yet, but I probably will soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA USA
Originally Posted by branchingfactor View Post
I'm trying to decide whether to replace my N810 with a N900 and the one thing that would convince me is to get true video calling over 3G to a desktop Skype client. I was always disappointed that the N810 video calling couldn't connect to a desktop client, and that I only discovered this limitation after purchasing the N810.

So can some N900 owner please tell me whether it is possible to make a Skype video call between a Windows PC with the Skype desktop client and the N900 using T-Mobile prepaid 3G service?

Thank you!
I use Skype on my N900 video calling to Skype on windows client all the time, on TMO 3G. i have a month-to-month plan. No problems at all, although the call recipient says that her received picture of me is not the best.

The Following User Says Thank You to effortful For This Useful Post:
I purchased an N900 and can confirm that I can make Skype video calls from the N900 using T-Mobile prepaid sidekick service.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
I've also used skype video calling over 3g. 384 kbps connection is a bit slow for that, but I guess that most people can live with it.

N900s frontal isn't definitely that good though.