Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I need some help on getting my N800 to work with my school's wifi network which requires VPN. I have downloaded the VPNC gui program from maemo which my school's technical consultants have said was compatible, unlike the iPhone.

I filled out the necessary configurations such as:

Gateway: 172.28.41.68
Group name: pennstate
group password: pennstate
username: *******
password: *******
domain: 146.186.157.22

Then when I try to connect with that, it comes out with this error message.

ipconfig: inet:Unknown host
route: SIOC[ADD|DEL]RT: Network is unreachable
VPNC started in background (pid: 2381)...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Confirm the Gateway address "172.28.41.68" - it reverse looks-up as mobility.up.psu.edu - apparently only valid for wireless access points at Penn State University Park

It would probably be better to use the domain name instead of the IP address...

Check at http://aset.psu.edu/vpn/sampleconfig.html

Originally Posted by Samatva View Post
Confirm the Gateway address "172.28.41.68" - it reverse looks-up as mobility.up.psu.edu - apparently only valid for wireless access points at Penn State University Park

It would probably be better to use the domain name instead of the IP address...

Check at http://aset.psu.edu/vpn/sampleconfig.html
Hey man, thanks for responding and helping me out. Yeah, I tried the reverse gateway as well and it still wasn't working. I talked to me computer help desk and they told me to get vpnc for terminal use, so I did that. I got it to work after that, and to make me look stupider, all I had to do was update the vpnc-gui and it finally connected. Having an N800 on a wireless campus is definitely badass. But the only problem is, I keep getting dropped connections every 5 minutes. Is this a defect of the software or is it just me?

Hey man...I've got the same problem with the timing out...Did you ever figure out the problem?

Ask your net admin folks to give you the PCF file they use and import it.

Has anyone else looked at this problem, i have the exact same issue, i go to pennstate abington, but the IT guys here suck so if you show them linux they laugh and ask wheres the start bar. I have vpnc and vpnc gui running but the connection times out after 4-5 mins. ive seen the same problem with other full linux instros with timeout fixes in terminal (i might be completely wrong) would a timeout code work on this issue?

i have a n810 and i get quite pissy about this problem all the time, what i ended up finding out is that this is a problem with the nokia itself. For some reason in the nokia it wants to change access points to whatever is stronger, when this happens the vpn doesnt reconnect and it loses the connection. If there was a way to tell the nokia to stay on the same access point at all costs then this problem wouldnt occur. Also if you are able to, the COE vpn connection is better.