Active Topics

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Melbourne, Australia
Hi there fellow maemo geeks,
I'm still very new to maemo (not to Linux or programming) and I'd thought I'd share my other interest here- game dev!
I just finished my huge analysis of the Mad Catz M.O.J.O. (MOJO).
It only launched last week, so it's still very new, hard to get info or a device for that matter

The short of it is, Yes it's an Ouya killer plus some!

Anyway, I think it's compatible with Maemo via the controllers PC Bluetooth HID mode.
I don't have one yet, but it will be the first thing I test when they finally land in Australia and I can get one!
It's strange with the recent launch of the PS4/XboxOne/PSVita TV, as a gamer and a wanna hobby indie-developer... I'm more excited about this then the pro consoles for sure.
What do you guys think?

http://t.co/lEer5N5nrM

Cheers
Mike.

Last edited by mgarcia; 2013-12-19 at 00:46. Reason: Edit: link and typo

Anyway, I think it's compatible with Maemo via the controllers PC Bluetooth HID mode.
I don't get it, you want to use N900 as controller? headset? display?

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
I understand why you wouldn't be excited about these so called "next-gen" consoles.
It is because they are not next gen at all. My computer outpaces the new xbox (though not the ps4) and it costed less than these consoles, back in 2011 (2nd handed parts). It is almost 2014 so these types of deals have only gotten better, and the next-gen is already late.

19:48 <Remi-X>: my name is fry and im shy
19:48 <Remi-X>: sh*t how can i even say something that dumb

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
I don't get it, you want to use N900 as controller? headset? display?
The mojo's controller has 3 BT modes mojo gamepad mode, mouse mode and one is PC mode which is the standard gamepad windows HID interface (no drivers required).

I've had my USB controllers on the N900 via a OTG cable working great, just not 100% sure via BT.. mah.. I can recompile the kernel if need be, but still.

The controller also comes with a clip which converts the controller into a ‘Moga Pro’ type of controller, thus use my phone as a screen and "I can put away my phone’s Game Gripper and play in comfort and style!"

Originally Posted by RiD View Post
I understand why you wouldn't be excited about these so called "next-gen" consoles.
It is because they are not next gen at all. My computer outpaces the new xbox (though not the ps4) and it costed less than these consoles, back in 2011 (2nd handed parts). It is almost 2014 so these types of deals have only gotten better, and the next-gen is already late.
Impressive, Yeah.. I haven't seen either in action yet.. the PS4 isn't sold until Jan 14 here
You can't really compare a PC to a console, the devs will squeeze every Mhz out of it, were as PC's can't.

Last edited by mgarcia; 2013-12-19 at 01:47. Reason: typos

No man its sucks, no good at all.

Here's why:
-If you're going to rely on your phone to do the gaming, the box is useless
-Why buy games twice?
-The controller is glossy, too clicky and in general cheap
-The controller doesn't support many games, to change this its gonna take a while
-No, you can't map touch areas to buttons and joysticks
-The controller is significantly large, so its not pocketable and not "too portable"
-If you're taking a controller of this size, taking a DSi or Vita is much better since you'll have access to REAL optimized games AND android because of your phone (2 better than 1?)
-If you don't want the alternatives, a Shield is much better because it feels high-end, won't drain your phone's battery as much and in general is more suited for gaming.

So what's my personal take?
-They almost got it right, but off by a mile
-Mold the gamepad for maximum contour comfort
-Use expensive plastic methods (like PS4 controller), and add matte-grippy textures to hand resting spots
-Four shoulder buttons, two joysticks, no D-Pad (honestly) and add 3 action buttons around each joystick
-Universal HID connectivity to PC, Mac, iPhone, Android
-Mappable buttons/sticks to touchscreen (a la SIXAXIS App)
-Internal rechargeable battery (to recharge your phone), better if removable too
-Use USB for No-Lag connection, high-speed charging but offer BT pairing (NFC for autoconnect)
-Have HDMI-out (on the rear) from the gamepad
-Have a headset port (on the front) from the gamepad
-Have the ability for phone to connect to TV's via (higher-speed, stable) Miracast
-Perhaps a tiny HDMI dongle hidden in the back for Miracast (for dumbTVs)
-A fair price $99
-something a bit like this:
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/6572/controllerp.png

I'm flattered

Hey Kangal,
Interesting

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
No man its sucks, no good at all.

Here's why:
-If you're going to rely on your phone to do the gaming, the box is useless
#The box is a top-set box

-Why buy games twice?
#I have a N900 as my main phone, and a Android tablet which shares the same account with this thing so only buying once.
I emulate on the N900 only.

-The controller is glossy, too clicky and in general cheap
#I havent used one yet, I'll let you know when I do, it's matt on the bottom, plus media controls, plus 3 BT HID modes, and moga pro feature, does it look cheap??

-The controller doesn't support many games, to change this its gonna take a while
#The controllers are programmed via the Android API using the ‘NVIDIA Tegra’ specifications, like the gamestick,etc been around for over a year now I guess.

-No, you can't map touch areas to buttons and joysticks
#You could via software, they have an app.. not sure what it does.

-The controller is significantly large, so its not pocketable and not "too portable"
#lol I wrote large pockets I removed that anyway

-If you're taking a controller of this size, taking a DSi or Vita is much better since you'll have access to REAL optimized games AND android because of your phone (2 better than 1?)
#true, I don't often play on the N900 (just because I can!), ie only for travel
Want it mostly for tablet tho

-If you don't want the alternatives, a Shield is much better because it feels high-end, won't drain your phone's battery as much and in general is more suited for gaming.
#why would the Shield drain the phone? lol
I dont like the shield, would rather my PSP or DSi etc.
But, i'm not into portables, I like old local multiplayer

So what's my personal take?
-They almost got it right, but off by a mile
-Mold the gamepad for maximum contour comfort
-Use expensive plastic methods (like PS4 controller), and add matte-grippy textures to hand resting spots
-Four shoulder buttons, two joysticks, no D-Pad (honestly) and add 3 action buttons around each joystick
-Universal HID connectivity to PC, Mac, iPhone, Android
-Mappable buttons/sticks to touchscreen (a la SIXAXIS App)
-Internal rechargeable battery (to recharge your phone), better if removable too
-Use USB for No-Lag connection, high-speed charging but offer BT pairing (NFC for autoconnect)
-Have HDMI-out (on the rear) from the gamepad
-Have a headset port (on the front) from the gamepad
-Have the ability for phone to connect to TV's via (higher-speed, stable) Miracast
-Perhaps a tiny HDMI dongle hidden in the back for Miracast (for dumbTVs)
-A fair price $99
-something a bit like this:
re your personal take.. that does look interesting, almost nintendo worthy

Why have HDMI on controller if it uses the mobile phone?

I got my order in, now I got a 2-4 week wait
I new this thing was hot back in 12th October, I should had pre-ordered it.. oh well

I reseached it well I see it like a Ouya but for adults gamers lol.

Last edited by mgarcia; 2013-12-20 at 04:19. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by mgarcia View Post
Hey Kangal,
Interesting

re your personal take.. that does look interesting, almost nintendo worthy

Why have HDMI on controller if it uses the mobile phone?

I got my order in, now I got a 2-4 week wait
I new this thing was hot back in 12th October, I should had pre-ordered it.. oh well

I reseached it well I see it like a Ouya but for adults gamers lol.
The HDMI idea was to connect the phone's hardware (game) to the gamepad and to a TV for better viewing (or viewing by multiple people). Or even screen capture!

Its just an idea I threw in there (thanks to MHL), just in case Miracast doesn't have the necessary latency for a game you want to see/seen on a big screen.

I don't think Android consoles will take off until these crucial points:
- Large mass of ("n00b") developers adopt Google's Game Save Profiles
- Adopt a gamepad standard in Android
- Adopt Google+ integration (PSN/XLive competitor)
- The quality of Games increase substantially (no more "App Pause" because of memory management, no more FCs, no more sub-par experience)
- Piracy is dealt with much better, purchases increase substantially
- A good hardware matches good software at good price with good marketing
- Mass adoption of said hardware, and its cause to add competition to the Android Console scene.

I'm flattered

Right, MHL via USB then HDMI out to tv.. interesting idea.

Good points regarding mass adpotion!

- Large mass of ("n00b") developers adopt Google's Game Save Profiles
yeah this is still very new, google play services is new

- Adopt a gamepad standard in Android
Android has gamepad support from 3.2 I think but not in NDK that's around 4.0 I think.

- Adopt Google+ integration (PSN/XLive competitor)
from google play services: Create competitive and cooperative experiences using Google+ Circles and auto-matched players online.

- The quality of Games increase substantially (no more "App Pause" because of memory management, no more FCs, no more sub-par experience)
gameloft make some pretty impressive games, with network multipler and for less then $10, the shield, mojo it's just the start of high end android gaming!

- Piracy is dealt with much better, purchases increase substantially
from google play services: Optional anti-piracy features for Android can disable game services for titles not purchased from the Play Store.

- A good hardware matches good software at good price with good marketing
True, HW will get cheaper over time, and the SW will still work.. not like consoles!

- Mass adoption of said hardware, and its cause to add competition to the Android Console scene.
I think it's already happened with 2D touch games.. the next I think will grow is high-end 3D gaming

Also there http://openkit.io/ and http://www.scoreloop.com/

It's interesting,
I see the Ouya as the Atari(1977) - wasn't the first, but got it popular
The gamestive as ColecoVision (1982) - completely different
The NVIDIA Shield as the Vectrex (1982) trying to do too much

The mojo as the Nintendo (NES) (1983) - great HW & SW (high end android games)
time will tell what happens with micro-consoles, I guess it'll take off... google play store isn't going anywhere!

Last edited by mgarcia; 2013-12-21 at 13:51.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Philippines
There's a reason why I'm still a console peasant. PLUG and PLAY. A ps3 from 2006/07 can still play a game from 2013. And tweaking my pc just to get a game to run is not my idea of fun.

This coming from an iphone/dumbed down phone hater. (by the way, my friend's iphone 4 has a hard time playing some games released this year. Cheers.)

What ham bacon and egg said.

The convenience of a PS3 to just plug n play, and go online for free is just unbeatable. Especially when the graphics are still pretty good.

I'm convinced this is the direction that SteamOS/Box is headed. Hopefully, Android will follow suit like iOS and the consoles.

I'm flattered