Active Topics

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Russia, Moscow
Hello, Maemo community.

As a part of an effort to move N8x0 tablets to fully open software stack, I'm rewriting closed parts of Maemo platform as an free and opensource software.

In order to avoid 'derivative works', I don't dissasemble existing closed programs, but instead just observe theiir external behaviour (mostly via strace).

Current achievements:
fb_text2screen - fully functional analogue of text2screen framebuffer text drawing tool froom initfs.
opendsme - rewrite of closed dsme parts and related tools. Most important piece: libopencal - rewrite of libcal, CAL storage access library. At the moment, only readonly access is possible, however I plan to add write support next week or two.

My next major goal is BME - battery charge controller.

What help I'm asking for: search and post here closed software that you want to be rewritten (no GUI or firmware stuff, please). If you have spare time, dissasemble/strace/debug/whatever those binaries and document their behaviour as much as you can.

The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to slonopotamus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Russia, Moscow
Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
N810 GPS-drivers?
That'll be kinda tricky 'cause I only own N800.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
how about DSP (sound?) stuff then?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
how about DSP (sound?) stuff then?
Wasn't nokia going to open the specification of the remaining closed bits of hardware by 2027?

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Wasn't nokia going to open the specification of the remaining closed bits of hardware by 2027?
funny guy.

You know its funny that the mobile os maemo who was build from debian, an os who's sole purpose is open sourse, yet most of their system is closed. Why did nokia even bother?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
You know its funny that the mobile os maemo who was build from debian, an os who's sole purpose is open sourse, yet most of their system is closed. Why did nokia even bother?
You also know what's funny? Made up statistics. The open/closed ratio is around 80/20, certainly nowhere near your claim of 'most'. . . .

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
You also know what's funny? Made up statistics. The open/closed ratio is around 80/20, certainly nowhere near your claim of 'most'. . . .
The 20 percent being 90 percent of nokia software/drivers that the tablet need to function.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRZ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
You also know what's funny? Made up statistics. The open/closed ratio is around 80/20
BTW, what does that ratio represent? Number of source or binary packages, lines of code, disk usage, or something else entirely, and is it based on the firmware image or the SDK?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
The 20 percent being 90 percent of nokia software/drivers that the tablet need to function.
Woo! Even more made up statistics!