Active Topics

Notices

I've created a simple python utility to create menu links. I will probably release other versions based on feedback so if you prefer to wait, i'll probably finish within the week.

The program is called LinkMaker but before first using it you will have to run from xterm, this one time only initialization :
sudo gainroot
LinkMakerAllow

This 'LinkMakerAllow' script (installed with program) grants LinkMaker permission to move files into the /usr/share/applications/hildon directory.

Also for some dumb reason it seems maemo devs decided not to allow you to delete icons in the organize menu screen. So if you want to delete any erroneous .desktops files from /usr/share/applications/hildon you will have to do that manually.

You can download the installer here (its only 7K) :
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFi...kMaker-1.1.deb

Then perform the LinkMakerAllow as root and run it.

It will create menu items in the Extras group.

When you run it you can either pick the program or script using the file pickers or you can type the command manually (as in the screenshot). Make sure the Desktop Filename setting is unique. Set the LinkName to whatever you want to appear in the menu. Leave Icon as LinkMakerDefault (unless you manually put a 26x26 png in /usr/share/pixmaps yourself, then enter filename here without png extension)

-------------------
Advanced users :

The LinkMakerAllow script (in /usr/bin) will add the following to /etc/sudoers :
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/mv /home/user/*.desktop /usr/share/applications/hildon

LinkMaker creates the desktop file in /home/user and then executes system calls (from python) to move the .desktop file into /usr/share/applications/hildon. After that it will execute system call to 'update-desktop-database'

If you want to edit the LinkMaker python source itself, it is located in :
/usr/bin/LinkMaker.py (source is kind of ugly right now though as i split it off from another utility).

------------------
Also, i am only writing this out of necessity, if others want to rework it or create completely separate applications on their own, thats great! If you just want to suggest fixes or enhancements post them here.
Attached Images

Last edited by pipeline; 2008-01-06 at 02:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to pipeline For This Useful Post:
Made minor cleanup changes to provide banner message if link was created (so user knows something happened).

Also added more padding around the Make Link button.

Current release (1.1) is linked in first post.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Suggestion: use a PostInst script (which will run as root) to eliminate the need for the LinkMakerAllow step.

Thanks, i will look into doing that if possible (I'm using pypackager).

I would need a control flag/file to prevent multiple installations from adding duplicate lines to sudoers file though.

Thanks for your feedback. More importantly, thanks for your latest efforts (MediaServ), hope to see that (server daemon) show up on win32 platform sometime since my only linux runs in a vm or firmware. Perhaps my future eee can do it if i overclock it!

This program works on 2008 if you have python installed... too bad they didn't officially add support for making new menu items so i will still need this.

You'll still need becomeroot :
http://eko.one.pl/maemo/index.php?pa...Fbinary-armel/

So you can run LinkMakerAllow

I am using sudo gainroot and can't seem to create a link. What am I missing? Using OS2008. thanks

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Run LinkMakerAllow as root.

@Pipeline
I love the Bourne books & films

LinkMaker is sooo october 2007 man ... the cool kids are into Personal Menu which does this except no file pickers.

If you dont want to run that then you can use this as qwerty said.. but be warned that you only run LinkMakerAllow once per OS flash, since it updates the sudoers file to copy desktop files into /usr/share/applications/hildon directory

I am running it as root under "sudo gainroot". I am not having any luck with it.

I installed the app.
Tried to create a link.
Realized I forgot that allow step.
Logged into xterm using sudo gainroot.
ran the allow script
tried to create a link
no luck