Active Topics

Hi,

I have searched and haven't been able to find a solution. I have a month old N770. Everything worked perfectly until last week. Since last week, I have not been able to connect to any available network. The connection manager shows me a list of available networks. When I select the default one (my AP) or any other it shows me the message "Network connection error. Try again?". I have tried connecting to my router with/without security setting, but I am getting the same error.

I have xterm installed. dmesg gives me a message "SoftMAC not initialized, chip not booted (Set oid 0x150007e0)". The last three lines in dmesg are the same except for a different 0x number at the end.

I have the latest IT2006 OS (3.2006.49-2)

Please advise.

Regards,
Kid

Well, I found a solution! I tried many things. Including installing all available firmwares (OS2005, OS2006, OS2007HE). No luck. Then, went ahead and rebooted the router. And, it works!

So, all I needed to do was restart the router!

Thanks.
-Kid

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Somewhere, most of the time.
Glad to hear you got it working. You are one of the few people who have asked for help and actually described the error and what you have already tried, and you didn't quit and actually fixed the issue and posted the result.

Most people on this forum or more than glad to help but it's frustrating when people complain about a problem they are having and state "This tablet sucks it can't do anything and Nokia should reimburse me for the time and money I spent on this", without giving any explanation of what the problem is and what they did right before the problem started. Most don't even think about searching and trying to find out for themselves what the problem is.

Again good job and enjoy your working 770.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by kidproquo View Post
Well, I found a solution! I tried many things. Including installing all available firmwares (OS2005, OS2006, OS2007HE). No luck. Then, went ahead and rebooted the router. And, it works!

So, all I needed to do was restart the router!

Thanks.
-Kid
That may NOT be the solution. It happened to me in my office where 200 employees are working, rebooting the router is out of the question. I got the same problem once and wont connect despite reboot of the 770. I went to a different router (I went home) and returned to the office and it connected. It also happened to me at home once while I was clicking web page real fast, it showed the error message, I waited a while and open another windows and it connected. It got me worry about this random bug..........

bun

I just found this comment on Nokia's site:

http://nokia770.com/forum/viewtopic....3d29168292530a

and repeated here from May 2006:

"Maybe my experiences connecting to WiFi access points will help.

First attempt worked straightaway. Connection Manager detected my father's WEP-enabled network with 64-bit encryption, so entered the key (remember to select HEX under WEP key type), and no problem thereafter.

Second attempt also worked straightaway with an unsecured network at a bed-and-breakfast.

Then, got home to the UK from the US and no luck! Could connect to my neighbor's unsecured network, but could not download Web pages (got the "Network problem" message even though Connection Manager showed bytes being sent and received).

Couldn't connect to my own WEP-enabled network either; it was detected, but no WEP key entry was enabled. Solution was to set up the connection manually. In Connection Manager, select menu (with hard key) -> Tools -> Connectivity Settings. Click the Connections button and select the network and click Edit or add it with the New button. On the first page, enter network name (if necessary) and select WLAN as the Connection Type. On the next page, select Infrastructure as the Network mode (Ad hoc did not work for me) and WEP for Security mode (if appropriate). On the next page, enter the WEP keys (remember to select HEX for WEP key type). On the next page, click Advanced settings and go to the IP Addresses panel - I used 'Auto-retrieve IP address' and 'Auto-retrieve DNS' (others suggest static IP address, but DHCP works for me). Click Finish.

I was pretty frustrated after two painless connections to fail with my own home network, but a little patience paid off.

I love my 770, and ignore the reviews that complain about what it can't do. I bought it to lie in bed or sit on the bog (toilet) and surf. It's a pity some people seem to give up after not connecting instantly the first time, and many of the problems and questions are to do with WEP keys, which are not specific to this device. Oh well.

Good luck!

Jerry"

This worked for me. I am using the 770 with the latest 2006 OS.