Active Topics

I've been dabbling with different media players on the n810, and not that impressed with any of them. Here's why;

Kagu - Great eye candy, does album covers (unreliably) but is Playlist based, so won't do a simple task like PLAY AN ALBUM through at the tap of a button.

UKMP - Same as Kagu, but horrible to use. Again, album cover support is unreliable.

Canola2 - Looks like it will do what a media player should do, but doesn't properly do cover art yet. This is in beta, so the jury is still out on it.

OS2008 Media Player - Basic, works. Nice big buttons for sausage fingers to press, and light (To put it mildly) on the eye candy. Not sure if this does album art, atleast if it does, it won't do it for ME.

What do I want? A nice media player that does simple MEDIA PLAYING without being half arsed. Eye candy isn't that important, and I don't care for kinetic scrolling either. Give me media details and album covers and that's enough for me!

Anyway.

Have you guys got the OS2008 Media Player to show album covers, or is it not catered for? Got it on my N95, want it on my N810 too!

Originally Posted by Optomisticsi View Post
I've been dabbling with different media players on the n810, and not that impressed with any of them. Here's why;

Kagu - Great eye candy, does album covers (unreliably) but is Playlist based, so won't do a simple task like PLAY AN ALBUM through at the tap of a button.

UKMP - Same as Kagu, but horrible to use. Again, album cover support is unreliable.

Canola2 - Looks like it will do what a media player should do, but doesn't properly do cover art yet. This is in beta, so the jury is still out on it.

OS2008 Media Player - Basic, works. Nice big buttons for sausage fingers to press, and light (To put it mildly) on the eye candy. Not sure if this does album art, atleast if it does, it won't do it for ME.

What do I want? A nice media player that does simple MEDIA PLAYING without being half arsed. Eye candy isn't that important, and I don't care for kinetic scrolling either. Give me media details and album covers and that's enough for me!

Anyway.

Have you guys got the OS2008 Media Player to show album covers, or is it not catered for? Got it on my N95, want it on my N810 too!
Have you tried MediaBox? I've gotten it to do media covers... unfortunately it has kinetic scrolling, which you don't seem to like.

Yeah, I did try MediaBox actually and it didn't seem to bad. But I couldn't get it to show cover art, and it just seemed reeeaaaalllllllllllyyyyyy slow.

And just to be clear, it's not that I don't like kinetic scrolling, it's lovely. But it's far from being a must-have feature, unlike the cover art.

How did you get MediaBox to show your album covers?

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Canola2 does do cover art, but it's a real faff to setup manually. I installed canola-tuning from the garage, and downloaded correct cover art for most of my albums. I then needs to change tags on some albums, multi cd, where the album tag was name -cd1 for example. cleared the cover art and redownloaded.

There are threads about canola2, cover at and legalities, but I have cover art as tagged albumart, and as folder.jpgs for 98% of my albums, and it is a pity that canola will not use that. I cannot see that being a bigger liability than playing MP3s. If I was the developers, I'd leave out any downloads to the users, and leverage existing common coverart mechanisms.

I posted a few days ago comparing the main media players, Canola at the moment is the best. I do like the std media player, but the interface needs worrk, and cover art would be good.

Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
Canola at the moment is the best. I do like the std media player, but the interface needs worrk, and cover art would be good.
So you're saying the OS2008 Media Player DOESN'T support cover art? And I think you're right about Canola2, at the moment it's the one MP that looks to tick the important boxes, eventually.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
it took me a total of about 3 days to manually download all the correct cover art for all my albums and get it displayed properly , a real PITA but totally worth it...all you have to do is make properly named folders in the canola directory , have the files named a certain way and boom u are in business

Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
it took me a total of about 3 days to manually download all the correct cover art for all my albums and get it displayed properly , a real PITA but totally worth it...all you have to do is make properly named folders in the canola directory , have the files named a certain way and boom u are in business
Munky, is there any chance you can do a step by step guide to the process. I need to know how you named the folders and files?

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Bangkok, Thailand
Originally Posted by Optomisticsi View Post
How did you get MediaBox to show your album covers?
I had the same problem. Here is a reply from Pycage, MediaBox's developer.

'cover art will be displayed if available in the folder of the music files.
There MediaBox looks for .folder.png, cover.jpeg, cover.jpg, and cover.png. If none of these could be found, it tries to use any image inside that folder. If you have used UKMP before, MediaBox also looks into UKMP's cover cache for cover art.
Downloading of cover art from the internet and cover art embedded into ID3 tags is not yet supported, but will most likely be supported in the near future.'

Bill

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
i will type out a guide here in the next day or so and ill email it to anybody that wants it.

Why not just post it in the wiki?