Notices

Hello!

I have installed open-ssh on my N800, for a) I have not managed to pair it with my iGo keyboard (was a doddle to set up with N770!) and b) I needed to ftp some fonts in for sdict. It's a useful thing to have, but I am wondering whether the ssh-server running is actually going to take up resources? (Especially with regards to the MM-vanishing act, posted here.)

I can't seem to find anything in the gui to enable and disable daemons with a tick, so I figured I could just remove all the symlinks to ssh from rcX.d and from then on use /etc/init.d/ssh start / stop to run ssh selectively if required.

Is that safe? Would it work? Is it actually the ssh-server-daemon that I want to switch off, or is there a wider service, that generally listens to incoming connections that I can turn off? How much of a hassle is it to build an applet for the desktop that has a toggle and an indicator telling me whether it is running or not?

Thanks a lot for all replies!
joe

Last edited by lazy_joe; 2008-05-18 at 14:17. Reason: impatience and imprecision, as always...

Just like you, I'd use "/etc/init.d/sshd command" to control the ssh server. Removing symlinks should keep the service from being started automatically, although typically you'd just rename the link to K80ssh from S20ssh (80 = 100 - 20), adding it to the list of services to kill in the opposite order (not sure if that applies to the tablet's OS, however).

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
1. does it take up resources? Not unless you are sshing in,and then it's neligable. It's not a gui so very light.

2. can you set it to not auto start? yes, this way.

$ sudo update-rc.d -f ssh remove

(or the windowsy way use gainroot then run it without the word sudo ie
$ update-rc.d -f ssh remove)

3. Start/stop using the init won't hurt a thing, and yes it is sshd (the ssh daemon) you want to stop.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxrebel For This Useful Post:
Thank you for the clear answer!

Interestingly on the maemo there is no "sshd", the command is "...ssh start/stop". But after running your update command it does indeed only come up on request, and that's great!

Thanks!
joe

There is a sshd (/usr/sbin/sshd). The init script which starts and stops it is called ssh.