Notices

Hey!! Ok. So I'm probably the last one to figure this out, but for those who haven't:

The built-in “File Manager” application only shows files in your /home/user/MyDocs directory.

However, you can browse your entire file system by creating a symbolic link:
open X Term and create a link into MyDocs directory by typing the following code:

cd ~/MyDocs
ln -s / Root

The Root now appears in the File manager. You can choose any name instead of Root or make symbolic links to other directories.

Nate

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Natehunderd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Nice trick but it has been posted before

But there is at least one catch with such symlinks in /home/user/MyDocs. The Maemo backup tool, when doing a backup of the MyDocs folder, is also following the symlinks and therefore will try to backup *much* more than you probably want it to backup.
Of course you still have the possbility to do the backup the old fashioned commandline-way without the backup tool, or you can unlink the symlinks each time before you do a backup.

The Following User Says Thank You to iskarion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
There've also been problems, historically, with metalayer-crawler (the built-in Media Player's library indexer) getting stuck in a recursive loop when following symlinks.

I've no idea if this has been fixed.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
There've also been problems, historically, with metalayer-crawler (the built-in Media Player's library indexer) getting stuck in a recursive loop when following symlinks.
Don't think so. I have symlinks from the MyDocs folder to my external SD card and also to a NFS share which is mounted while the N800 is connected to my network at home.

Sometimes metalayer-crawler gets lost in the depths of these symlinks and then is draining the battery like crazy. Doesn't happen very often, only every few weeks.

thanks for the explanation. The dreaded meta-layer crawler has hosed me up a number of times, and I hadn't made the connection.

Why not just install emelFM?

I encountered this loop in meta-crawler when I added this link. It seemed to be persistent and killed the system performance and burned up the battery. So I wouldn't recommend this nice trick. It caused me a lot of trouble.