Active Topics

I've done a search of the forums but can't find this question answered anywhere.

On OS2006 if I connected my N770 via USB to my PC it mounted the MMC card as a drive.

On OS2007HE & OS2008HE this doesn't happen...in fact, nothing happens when I connect via USB to my PC.

Is this normal?

Ok, now I've reverted back to OS2006 and it still doesn't work.

I formatted the MMC using a card reader but still no luck.

If I flash the firmware it should delete everything, right?

On my old installation I changed the kernel so it enabled USB Host mode which meant I had to xterm and change it to normal USB mode to hook it up to the computer but I thought flashing it would revert it back to its default mode.

Hmmm...

Ok, I think I've figured it out now but I don't understand it.

It seems that flashing the N770 doesn't reset the USB Host mode enabled/disabled portion of the device so I have to XTerm and enable USB client mode if I want to connect via USB to the memory card.

Is there an easier (graphical) way to switch between USB Host and Client modes now on any of the OS's?

It probably is more useful to have USB Host mode enabled by default and I could always use a card reader to access the MMC when needed.

I love my N770 - went on a year long around the world trip and used it for emailing and blogging (eventually buying and connecting a USB Keyboard to speed things up), Gizmo-ing to landlines, USB connecting to my digital camera and iPod to dump my travel photos off as I went around the world so I never ran out of memory card space, uploading photo's and videos to the internet, keeping track of expenses using a spreadsheet application, booking flights and hotels online, keeping copies of travel documents as PDF's "just in case", recording song ideas on recorder, tuning my Fijian ukelele using the tuner...etc,etc. I should sell these things for a living!!

Did you always have a WIFI connection to do all these things ?? Even in France you have to look quite a while to find a open/free wifi connection....

Well, sometimes it was difficult to find a connection but it's amazing how many places around the world have open connections. Where there are travellers there are people wanting to use the internet (even in Laos)!

If needed I'd wander down to a more up-market Hotel/Hostel where they often had free wifi in the lounge area. Same with cafes and restaurants.

Only place I didn't have a connection was on the islands of Fiji - but then again, I was too busy having a good time to notice - plus it was way too bright to see the screen there!

Without a wireless connection, being able to transfer pictures off my camera memory card and onto my iPod was invaluable and all of the blog was written offline in Abiword (notes didn't like large texts) then copied and pasted when online. Same with photo selection for the blog. It was nice to play through Monkey Island again and Beneath a Steel Sky on boring bus journeys too!

The N770 is amazing - it can upload as fast as the internet connection. I must have uploaded hundreds of megabytes of data over the year and best of all, programs can be installed and updated on the fly without a computer.

I've just decided to clear it down and start again now because after a year of contant use it was a bit cluttered with programs and had started crashing every so often.

Anyhow, can someone explain why reflashing the OS on the N770 doesn't reset whether host mode is enabled by default?

Anyone?