Notices

Hello,

This is my first post here. Hi everybody

I have installed gmedia server on my desktop running linux (fedora c9) and started the server to share my music folder.

I can access and list this folder, using the upnp canola pluggin. Those 2 setups are very easy to do. Howerver it takes a while when I access it the first time as it lists my complete library ( 20 G) I was hopping using such a server would be more efficient. It seems to take as long as listing my equivalent samba share.
More over gets stucks very often when I start playing a song. Sometimes won't play it. And conala wil freezer several minutes...
Does anyone could find a way to easily acess media library store on a desktop ?
Will I get better result with Media Tomb or shall decrease the size of my media library ?
Thank you for your help

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I made good experiences with MediaTomb. But even better IMHO (and more reliable) for streaming music is the UPnP plugin of Rhythmbox, turning Rhythmbox into a UPnP media server.

gmediaserver, from what I have experienced, doesn't allow multiple connections. So while you're streaming music you cannot browse folders or start another track. This can cause the client to hang until gmediaserver is finished with streaming and responds again. The same behavior can also be seen with ushare.

Rhythmbox also sorts by artist and album, so the size of the media library wouldn't be an issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot for your answer. I will try it as soon as I get home

I went home, took 3 min to set up rhythm box ( that long because Fedora do not proposes mp3 plugins out of the box) and my dream came true !!! It is all I was looking for: streaming my music from my nokia.
thanks a lot. You also make me discovered rythmbox which seems quite nice: I was using amarok so far.
Have a good one.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Yeah, I was quite surprised too. I enabled the UPnP plugin in Rhythmbox to try it out as UPnP client. But then I noticed that MediaBox listed Rhythmbox as UPnP share. It does only share music but this worked perfectly. All the other UPnP servers I tried either crashed on some non-English ID3 tags or messed them up. Rhythmbox just worked.

Tags
upnp canola n810