Since there is no DropBox, LiveMesh, etc. implementation on Maemo Is there a way to sync a folder on my desktop to my n810 over WiFi? I'm thinking of something like MS's SyncToy, but that requires mounting the IT as mass storage.

What I envision is this: When I join my home network my n810 mounts as mass storage and files are synced or copied automatically. Even if it's just one way, it would be nice to have access to my work files and research papers while away from a wireless access point. If there's already a solution for this I'd love to hear about it.

You can try Conduit. However it's still in development (beta) and I haven't gotten it to work myself (but others have).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Unison is a good one, I'm not sure if it has been ported to Maemo.

You should be able to do this over ssh. Install openssh-server on your tablet, and you can connect to the tablet and mount it as a drive. You may need extra software to do this from Windows (I use Linux, which has the capability built in, so I don't have any recommendations). After that, any software that can sync folders will do the rest.

Conduit would probably be better, but that package is out of date and missing dependancies, and I can't find a new one.

The Following User Says Thank You to IanHelgesen For This Useful Post:
It doesn't look like Unison is available for OS2008 (but is for '06), and Conduit doesn't look complete enough to mess with.

SSH seems like a good option. I don't know if it's possible to automatically mount when I'm on my home network, but I could always get it to be a one-click solution. Thanks.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
For Windows users, check ExpanDrive (39$). In combination with OpenSSH on the tablet, this works perfectly.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
You can use sshfs on the tablet to mount network drives on the tablet, but I haven't really tried it the other way around. I've always seen the tablet as a much better client than server. But there's no reason why you can't use sshfs the other way around on another Linux machine to mount tablet directories.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
You can try Conduit. However it's still in development (beta) and I haven't gotten it to work myself (but others have).
I checked this out and I'm missing python2.5-pygoocanvas. If it was in the repos I'd install it but I'd rather not mess around more than I have to, as I have everything else working pretty well right now.

Conler + rsync sounds like it would handily do the one way sync you described.

Originally Posted by ctennenh View Post
I checked this out and I'm missing python2.5-pygoocanvas. If it was in the repos I'd install it but I'd rather not mess around more than I have to, as I have everything else working pretty well right now.
You can get it through extra-deval. But I haven't tried conduit myself since I can't even get the latest desktop version to work!

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
wifi mounting sync