Active Topics

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Germany
Hi everybody,

if I'm right, the N810 comes with 256MB internal flash (compressed file system) and 2GB additional flash. The 2GB are formated with VFAT and mounted as external media (no rootfs integration).
Because of that, als programs and data are stored on the 256MB internal flash like the IT 770.
Sorry about that introduction but have'nt found anything about.

Well, I have reading a lot about coling the OS but is it necessary? Would it be possible to reformat external miniSD-card with ext2 and just move and symlink directories from internal flash to miniSD?

If I do this, can I create and use swap anymore?
Is it possible to move wayfinder maps from 2GB flash to miniSD (even if ext2 formated)?

Thx & regards,
Frank
(waitfor for new N810)

For an ordinary user it may not be necessary to clone the OS. However, I would say that cloning is probably much easier, safer, better supported, and just better than making symlinks.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
FWIW, I consider myself in the "power" user category and have never cloned my OS to flash (I did once move MyDocs to /media/mmc2, and change MYDOCSDIR to point to it)

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If you can live with the memory limitations, which aren't that bad, but which do exist, and are reachable, you can live without cloning.

But for most users, who are not disciplined about how many programs they install and really don't want to be, the way to escape is thru cloning. If you have a smallish band of favorite programs and are willing to keep culling the herd to match the limited amount of pasturage you have, you don't need to clone.

I like to experiment and try everything, so for me, cloning is a must.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Cloning has another great advantage, and it is that the original system will be there. If something (like an SSU) goes wrong, you won't need to reflash, you'll be able to reboot from flash and recover.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
And cloning also allows you to have another ready-to-go SD card to boot from or to clone it back to the damaged SD card.

My N8x0 can be booted from flash, mmc1, and mmc2.
mmc1 and mmc2 are almost identical. mmc2 is the default booting place. flash only has a minimum amount of apps.

So rarely I have to goto flash; only doing so if I want to clone mmc1 back to mmc2, or mmc2 to mmc1 (as a backup and ready-to-go!)