Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Hi all,

There's a bug open that the Maemo HIG needs proof-reading by native speakers
I just created a wiki page to track a crowd-sourced proof-reading effort and proof-read the Introduction and made some suggested changes.

Do any native speakers have some time to help with this, pick a section, and make some suggested changes? The changes I'd like to see made are not so much with the content, as with grammar, fluidity & style.

If you feel up to the task, and you have 10 minutes to spare for a section, please sign your name after a section (to let someone know you're working on it), make the text of the section a clickable link to the text, add the "notes" link after it, and click on it to start writing your suggested improvements. If you can only partly proof-read, don't worry about it, do what you can, add a note at the end saying how far you got, and save your work.

I'll be keeping tabs on the index page, spotting if people put dibs on a section and then don't finish notes, so we don't end up with unfinished work, and we'll start getting changes integrated next week to make sure that the changes are integrated into the final version of the HIG.

Thanks all!
Dave.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'll try to do some.

First sentence:
This section gives some basic principles that are very intimate with the development of touch interfaces and mobile applications.
ouch!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I proofread text professionally and I'm more than willing to proofread the entire thing. I'm a native speaker and longtime Maemo user. I'll start working on it this weekend. I just ask that someone check it all afterwards to make sure that none of the meaning has been lost with my changes.

EDIT: Oh wow... yeah... this might be less proof-reading and more rewriting, but hope you like what I come up with whenever I finish it.

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-06-19 at 22:28.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
OK, so I've done a bit so far (and anyone is free to change even more, I'm not thrilled with some of the wording)

It seems that the best way to do this is to copy the original text into a wiki page, do some minimal wiki markup (use ==Title== and ===Section=== headings where appropriate, and maybe do some HTML links), then save the original text.

Then edit the page, and save your edits when you're done, along with a clear description in the comments field.

By doing this, your edits to the text will display clearly in the "history" page, all nicely marked up for anyone wanting to see what you did.

So, proofreaders, please copy over the raw text, save, then edit!

(Dave, can you put those instructions on the wiki page?)

Last edited by qole; 2009-06-19 at 23:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Probably also worth emphasising - if using the wiki - to save often to make conflicts easier to resolve.

However, I wonder if one of the proper real-time online collaborative editings systems (e.g. as a baseline, Google Docs) would be easier.

It's also disheartening - seeing zerojay (welcome back!) and qole's summaries - that something quite so... Finglish has been put out at all.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
It's not always fair to expect the well-meaning people working on Maemo to always have perfect English considering Maemo has always been such a global project... but that's okay so long as it's remotely understandable. I deal with having to decypher way worse anyways, so this really isn't that bad.

(Yeah, guess I am back. Thanks... after waiting a full year for my N810 developer discount to come through, the battery on the new tablet died less than a month after receiving it. I was sure it was dead for good... but then it came back to life just yesterday! Wow... I'm so far behind, lol.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I proofread text professionally and I'm more than willing to proofread the entire thing. I'm a native speaker and longtime Maemo user. I'll start working on it this weekend. I just ask that someone check it all afterwards to make sure that none of the meaning has been lost with my changes.
I've said it before, and I'll probably end up saying it again, but it's good to see you around again, zerojay.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Hi,

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
However, I wonder if one of the proper real-time online collaborative editings systems (e.g. as a baseline, Google Docs) would be easier.
I disagree - we have a tool, we should use it. And, as Murray pointed out on the mailing list, this will be a good test case for the nascent plan to have the official docs in the wiki.

It's also disheartening - seeing zerojay (welcome back!) and qole's summaries - that something quite so... Finglish has been put out at all.
That's quite unfair. First, it's not Finglish, it's Spanglish. The HIG was written by the authors listed on the front page, Ivan and Joaquim from Igalia, and was based on the GNOME HIG.

The whole point is to turn a quite long, difficult & tedious process into one which is easier, because it's spread out over many people.

zerojay: Thanks for your offer to proof-read the whiole thing! I'd suggest proceeding section by section, staking claim in the cover sheet first, saving your work after each section - to reduce any chance that you're working on the same chapter as someone else (say, me, qole or Murray).

We'll all have a chance to review corrections afterwards.

Thanks!
Dave.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
I disagree - we have a tool, we should use it. And, as Murray pointed out on the mailing list, this will be a good test case for the nascent plan to have the official docs in the wiki.
The use of a wiki for the long-term maintenance of a document (something I'd argued for for most of the pages on maemo.org) is a different use case from a lot of people working simultaneously on the same section of document.

If you've got processes in place to minimise the number of edit conflicts; fine - otherwise, I'm pretty certain changes will be lost. Mediawiki just isn't good at highlighting the differences between two conflicting saves - requiring the author to remember many of their changes. (IME, anyway)

That's quite unfair. First, it's not Finglish, it's Spanglish. The HIG was written by the authors listed on the front page, Ivan and Joaquim from Igalia, and was based on the GNOME HIG.
OK, it's Spanglish. However I'm still disappointed: not at the folks at Igalia but that I strongly believe the success of a platform - especially a mobile platform - is based on the development tools & infrastructure.

Complex, semi-documented APIs; unclear HIGs; poor IDEs are fundamental problems, which aren't necessary ("accidental" rather than "essential" complexity).

Such problems increase the activation energy and willpower required by a developer; and that's bound to dissuade some developers from persevering.

That's why I'm disappointed [at Nokia].

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
OK, it's Spanglish. However I'm still disappointed: not at the folks at Igalia but that I strongly believe the success of a platform - especially a mobile platform - is based on the development tools & infrastructure.

Complex, semi-documented APIs; unclear HIGs; poor IDEs are fundamental problems, which aren't necessary ("accidental" rather than "essential" complexity).

Such problems increase the activation energy and willpower required by a developer; and that's bound to dissuade some developers from persevering.

That's why I'm disappointed [at Nokia].
And that's why we're proof-reading it to ensure it reads well. And we'll solve the other issues one by one over time, as the resources needed to keep them up to date are made public.

Dave.