Notices

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
I have always had trouble with large, image based PDFs on Evince. It is extremely slow, and lags a LOT. I had a lot of docs for class, and they were pretty unusable.

However, I uploaded them to Google Docs, and opened them with the Tear browser. It was at least 4x as fast as native performance.

I was wondering, why is this, and if anyone else has experienced this. Are Google's servers compressing the data (a good thing). It completely baffles me that Tear and Docs is faster than all the native readers. Its actually better on Google Docs, because I don't have to sync, but I am just curious as to why.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
What's the limit in file size for uploading a .pdf to Google Docs?

I've got a 141 meg book that I wouldn't mind viewing in a better way rather than what I'm doing now on the tablet.

Thanks!

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
as I wrote in another thread, try converting your complex pdf document in the djvu format, and open in evince. Djvu is significantly quicker.

To convert, you could use the online converter http://www.djvu.org/any2djvu/ or if you have a linux box use the pdf2djvu package.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I'll try that even though all of my books weigh at least ten pounds in real life, in computer world that's 141 to over 300 megs. It's so difficult to manage them all.

Thanks debernadis!