Active Topics

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Last year we had a budget to sponsor key people to the Maemo Summit (travel and accommodation) and this year we will do the same.

But can we do it in a better way? Last time I was the one and only benevolent dictator, the whole process was quite time consuming, many participants had to pay in advance with their credit cards and then get reimbursed many weeks after.

Some ideas:

- Clear criteria to be invited: speakers, core volunteers in the organization, what else?

- The decision of inviting community members is made by community members (who?)

- An external travel agency takes care of travel arrangements, as we did in the Danish Weekend.

- We book a number of rooms in the same place and we pay in a single go as group reservation (as done with the Tracker Hackfest last year and in the Danish Weekend too).

This system requires that the list of approved sponsored participants is known quite in advanced. It is also tied to the approval of sessions/speakers.

Perhaps we spend 50-80% of the budget this way and we look for more ad-hoc decisons and more manual handling of expenses after that, to have some flexibility closer to October?

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Seems sensible on the face of it.

I think it'll be interesting prep for if there's a discount programme for the next device; and whether there's any animosity over the selected candidates getting sponsorship; and the selection mechanism.

Question on a single block booking for accomodation would be the quality of the rooms and the potential number of rooms needed limiting the options quite significantly.

Selecting which "general" community members go could be something like:
  1. Top n karma holders
  2. Top m tmo posters
  3. Top o tmo thanks count (or ratio?)
  4. One slot for a "caption" competition winner on tmo: "I'd like to go to the Maemo Summit because...". Judged by the council.

There's a lot of overlap in those groups with speakers & core community volunteers anyway.

Also, what about some members of the upstream communities? Sponsorship seems like a good way of saying "thank you" and potentially getting them more involved in Maemo as a developer; rather than just an upstream provider.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Also, what about some members of the upstream communities? Sponsorship seems like a good way of saying "thank you" and potentially getting them more involved in Maemo as a developer; rather than just an upstream provider.
+1, very good idea.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I really like the idea of booking lots of rooms at an inexpensive hotel.
The ideal would be a bunch of small rooms with one or two beds (for the grumpy old folks), and a few big rooms with hostel-style bunks (for the 20-somethings).

I can only speak for myself, but I suspect I'm speaking for many more when I say this: it doesn't have to be the Ritz, but I don't want to walk down a public hallway to have a shower and I don't want to sleep in a room with 6 other guys. On the other hand, I could probably share a room with someone (I've gotten to know a few of the other community members now).

(EDIT: Oh, and the hotel should have Wi-Fi )

There's got to be some reasonable places that meet those criteria. And they should have rooms available in October.

I also think getting sponsorship worked out as soon as possible is good for everyone. It keeps costs down, lets people plan and arrange their schedule, and gives everyone a chance to apply.

The other question I have is: some people will be flying from other continents for this. Is it really only going to be two or three days long? Is there any way to connect this with another event to make the long flights more "worth it"?

Last edited by qole; 2009-06-11 at 17:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I second Qole's suggestion. Something like the Generator hostel I stayed at in Berlin would be fine. I'd prefer booking somewhere recommended by the Summit organizers, knowing it will conveniently close by and used by fellow summiteers, rather than trying to divine one through Internet invocations myself in a city I don't know :-)

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Rooms in one hotel = good. (If possible.) Otherwise, maybe in the same block location?

Tim

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
I thought the 'budget' type idea was good last year. You find your own accommodation but you only have x to spend, go over it and you pay the difference. That way if people want to stay in a particular place and its within budget there is nothing stopping them.

Takes the accommodation headache away from Nokia and puts in with the individual being sponsored.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The decision of inviting community members is made by community members (who?)
I'd like to see the council have a big say in who goes. We did elect them as representation for ourselves as a community so its only fitting that they are heavily involved in deciding who should be sponsored from the community.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
I thought the 'budget' type idea was good last year. You find your own accommodation but you only have x to spend, go over it and you pay the difference. That way if people want to stay in a particular place and its within budget there is nothing stopping them.

Takes the accommodation headache away from Nokia and puts in with the individual being sponsored.
Probably the two options is the best suit here. Booking a lot of rooms in a particular hotel will probably reduce the price of each room and also" takes the accommodation headache away from" the participants

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Last year we had a budget to sponsor key people to the Maemo Summit (travel and accommodation) and this year we will do the same.

But can we do it in a better way? Last time I was the one and only benevolent dictator, the whole process was quite time consuming, many participants had to pay in advance with their credit cards and then get reimbursed many weeks after.
For reference, there is an existing Wiki page for this - I'm tracking the main ideas to come out of the thread there, it would be nice to try & crystalise & answer some of the open questions: http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Summit_2...onsored_travel

The questions I raised were:
  • Procedure for attendees to ask for sponsorship
  • What is the total travel budget?
  • Who will authorise travel requests?
  • When and how will reimbursements be handled?
  • What criteria will be used to decide who gets travel authorised?

Seems like we already have some decent answers for some of those questions.

Tags
summit