Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
Hi There,

I have my N900 on order and have a spare 4GB SDHC card Class 6, will this be enough? I'll be installing applications with little or no movies / mp3's .

How much space do Maemo applications take up on average? Have any 8xx users filled up a 4GB card with just applications / application data(?)

Also, say I do install applications on the 4GB card and decide to buy a 16GB how easy is it to transfer the whole contents? Can I just copy one card to the other in file manager(XP or linux) ?

Thanks,

A. Newbie

Edit oops I mean't micro SD

Last edited by Duffer; 2009-10-02 at 13:30.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
you have 32GB built in and a 4GB card i'm no expert with using Maemo but i'd say that should be more than enough if your not loading it full of media files

The N900 does not use SD cards, only microSD.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
By default, Maemo does not allow for the installation of applications to memory cards. Memory cards are for storing images, music, videos, documents, and the like.

In order to install applications to your removable card, you'd need to set your N900 up to boot from the memory card. N900-specific instructions and tools for doing so will surely be forthcoming, but a 4 GB card isn't going to gain you much over the built-in storage, especially as members of the Maemo community are already investigating how to best create and offer an easy way to expand the Nokia-provided application storage further into the built-in 32 GB flash.