Active Topics

Can the heavily technical folks on this forum please take a look at the below link, it talks about a "SpiceClient" which apparently shows full Windows XP running on the N900?

I am not sure what to make of this, any input is welcome...

http://spice-space.org/page/SpiceClientN900
Attached Images

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
What is this? Some thin client?

I am not sure myself, I was hoping someone here can clarify

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
looks interesting

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
You can read some more about it here http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/summit/agilboa_11_spice.pdf
Basically looks like some kind of VNC solution[without VNC]. Not sure though.

EDIT: After reading some more, looks like it is a virtualization solution. Basically you connect to the host which then uses QEMU to run a OS that is then presented to you.

Last edited by ToJa92; 2010-08-04 at 15:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
So its like a Citrix virtualization. Hmm interesting

from wikipedia "QEMU":

QEMU is a processor emulator that relies on dynamic binary translation to achieve a reasonable speed while being easy to port on new host CPU architectures.

In conjunction with CPU emulation, it also provides a set of device models, allowing it to run a variety of unmodified guest operating systems; it can thus be viewed as a hosted virtual machine monitor. It also provides an accelerated mode for supporting a mixture of binary translation (for kernel code) and native execution (for user code), in the same fashion as VMware Workstation and Microsoft Virtual PC.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
so in brief? does it look like we'll see a reasonable xp experience on n900 before they're obsolete?

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
so in brief? does it look like we'll see a reasonable xp experience on n900 before they're obsolete?
From what I understand, you run a SPICE-server on, well a server(or a Home PC). You can then set up sort of virtual machines. When connecting via a client, you'll be able to pick between your VM's, and run them as they would be native on the device(whether it be a laptop, N900, iPad whatever). Sort of thin clients, if I understand all of this correct.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Anyone actually tried this?

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.