Active Topics

I am in the process of figuring out all the dbus interfaces, gconf keys etc that one would need to support in order to replace ICD with something else (e.g. whatever MeeGo/Nemo/Mer/etc uses) and still have other parts of the system keep working but I want to know if there is actually any interest in this work (and in an ICD replacement) or whether I should abandon it and give up.
No point in me working on this if no-one else cares (e.g. someone who can help write code or who knows how the replacement thingo that we would be using works)...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
IMHO ICD's not perfect, but neither is the competition. ICD's greatest sin is that it's proprietary. If you do all the work of implementing the interfaces, perhaps it'll be simpler to also write the engine rather than try to shoehorn connman/networkmanager/netifd/whatever into providing it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@jonwil,

I surely would fine this very interesting. If only for the fun of it

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by lma View Post
IMHO ICD's not perfect, but neither is the competition. ICD's greatest sin is that it's proprietary.
This. It's not really a problem on our devices, as it works reasonably fine for me, but if we ever did really want to port Maemo to another platform, ICD's something a lot of Maemo hooks into, if just to request an internet connection.

The advantage of replacing ICD is that things can be added to it that are not currently possible (e,g, support for better ways to decide which network to connect to)

The Following User Says Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
I am in the process of figuring out all the dbus interfaces, gconf keys etc that one would need to support in order to replace ICD with something else (e.g. whatever MeeGo/Nemo/Mer/etc uses) and still have other parts of the system keep working but I want to know if there is actually any interest in this work (and in an ICD replacement) or whether I should abandon it and give up.
No point in me working on this if no-one else cares (e.g. someone who can help write code or who knows how the replacement thingo that we would be using works)...
If it's proprietary and in Maemo, my answer is hell yes I care. But given lack of time and so many other projects, at the moment, I don't fit your parenthetical criteria of being able to help write code.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
it may also help pali's ipv6 work. iirc there is currently no way to choose between v4 and v6 if a network provides both.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post: