I'm trying to setup USB networking with my PC to download packages via cheap unlimited ethernet provider rather than pricy GPRS provider.
I did the same steps as for n800 and usbnet works fine... for usual apps which just connect to needed server and transfer data. Nokia's apps (browser, app. manager, mail) behave different: they check if you have connection established (I don't have GPRS or WiFi connection established), establish it and then all data is sent via that slow and pricey connection.
Is there a way to tell N900 that I already have internet connection and it's not it's business to make things [s]better[/s] worse?

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Sry for that question, but why don't you use WLAN like everyone else?

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

I've found workaround: connect to GPRS first, then to usb. Now it thinks, that I have connection (GPRS) but uses the laest connection (USB).

I don't like wireless, i like UTP cables. At home I jest don't need WiFi, so I don't have any WiFi adapters (excluding my neighbour's unprotected AP, but signal is untable). My girlfriend (and her mother) pricipially don't use WiFi as it is bad for health (I know, that this is unknown an so on, but wires do thei wi do it very good and are much more stable, again no need for WiFi excepting reading at toilet. And if you don't need it, why not to make your mental state more comfortable by knowing, that there is no "danger" radio waves around?). So I don't have available AP near me.

Originally Posted by KiberGus View Post
I'm trying to setup USB networking with my PC to download packages via cheap unlimited ethernet provider rather than pricy GPRS provider.
I did the same steps as for n800 and usbnet works fine... for usual apps which just connect to needed server and transfer data. Nokia's apps (browser, app. manager, mail) behave different: they check if you have connection established (I don't have GPRS or WiFi connection established), establish it and then all data is sent via that slow and pricey connection.
Is there a way to tell N900 that I already have internet connection and it's not it's business to make things [s]better[/s] worse?
I haven't got a N900 yet and I'm new with maemo at all. But this kind of internet connection will be essential for me. Could you, please give us a newbe's how-to for that ?

Originally Posted by meyma View Post
I haven't got a N900 yet and I'm new with maemo at all. But this kind of internet connection will be essential for me. Could you, please give us a newbe's how-to for that ?
http://wiki.maemo.org/USB_networking

google for "N900 usbnet"
I did it on linux because it is more familiar for me. I know, that it is possible on windows, but today I didn't succed with it: PC Suite doesn't provide this functionality and after installation of PC Suite I didn't figure out how to disable it and enable USB net. So i decided walking 10 meters to nearest linux computer and configure it.

I have similar problem. I followed wiki and can easily connect n900 to linux station. However i would really like to make it working with windows host. If anyone has any clue what have to be done for succesfull windows <--> n900 usb networking please post here or update wiki.

Posts: 142 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
I have similar problem. I followed wiki and can easily connect n900 to linux station. However i would really like to make it working with windows host. If anyone has any clue what have to be done for succesfull windows <--> n900 usb networking please post here or update wiki.
You need the driver on the windows side

you can find the 32 bit one here

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=801 inside the

diablo_kernel_usbnet_patch_windows_v0.4.zip file.

I made also the driver for x 64 windows OS, you can find it here

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YI2Q8HPR

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The_Solutor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Seattle
Re- WiFi bad for health.
Ethernet wires also generate electric fields. And your n900 does too, especially when you use gprs. Hold it next to a powered speaker and load a web page and you can hear the requests and responses.

I really appreciate your responses though, helping people get usb working!

-Nick

Originally Posted by RNK View Post
Re- WiFi bad for health.
Ethernet wires also generate electric fields. And your n900 does too, especially when you use gprs. Hold it next to a powered speaker and load a web page and you can hear the requests and responses.

I really appreciate your responses though, helping people get usb working!

-Nick
If I really needed WiFi I would find a way to convince my girlfriend (I even wouldn't need to). She knows that phone generates field, but she needs phone, so that's OK.

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by The_Solutor View Post
You need the driver on the windows side

you can find the 32 bit one here

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=801 inside the

diablo_kernel_usbnet_patch_windows_v0.4.zip file.
After following the steps in the README file on XP SP3, I get the error "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware" http://bit.ly/7rcc7T

The N900 is in PC Suite Mode.

any ideas? thanks.