Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Does anybody know if things that already work with the current RTComm Beta will be part of Fremantle? The current Alpha lacks (from what I see) things like telepathy-salut, telepathy-idle, avahi ... things I love using on my tablet right now.

I had even hoped for these components to be part of OS2008 some day (you know, them being released as "beta" suggested there'd be the day when they're considered stable and move into the core OS), but not finding them in what's known about Fremantle is a bit disappointing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Selling a device with some of these packages pre-installed might be tricky for a company...

The OS2008 Instant Messaging Upgrades had mixed results, some positive and so... so-la-la. How would you do it better in Fremantle? How a community project could integrate these protocols as add-ons?

Is it there enough developer energy to back this project? What are the obstacles that need to be removed in the RTComm framework and applications (if any)? What is the specific work that would be required in the related upstream projects (if any)?

One of the lessons learned with the RTComm is that there is indeed a user demand and the Telepathy ramifications have most of the elements to satisfy them. Maemo is a good customer of Telepathy and it makes sense to try out and experiment things here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
I think there is certainly demand, developers just don't/(well didn't I suppose is better) know what will come on the device so can't really do anything.

So yes, we have the SDKs now, but there's still stuff which hasn't been released, if you can say that there's nothing else related to the messengering system to come then people will see that it's worth putting the time into it.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
In Fremantle the game hasn't changed much around these protocols discussed. The complementarity of -haze or -purple with the stock RTComm framework is the same.

The beta in OS2008 was useful to see not only that there was a user demand but also that the execution could not be done with Nokia alone (the protocols are many and the support of the original features is variable, while the user expectations are just as high than with the originals - supporting them officially is technically complex and also tricky business-wise). The question is whether the community alone can do it in Fremantle or there is anything the RTComm team needs to address or help with.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The OS2008 Instant Messaging Upgrades had mixed results, some positive and so... so-la-la. How would you do it better in Fremantle? How a community project could integrate these protocols as add-ons?
I think the Nokia response to problems with the OS2008 Instant Messaging Upgrades was fairly "so-la-la". The project started to "go stale" after the Diablo upgrade, with crucial small failures accumulating over the months, and like everything else pre-Fremantle, it has been completely abandoned now.

I'm very sad that there's no official plans to integrate any of these telepathy / pidgin features into Fremantle.

I guess we can always try to get the Empathy client integrated into the Maemo framework. This integration would centre around the address book, the A/V streaming, and the notification system...

EDIT: Hey, it looks like they're already using Nokia technology, in the form of Mission Control, to do the contacts management. Maybe not so hard to make it all work, after all!

Last edited by qole; 2009-05-14 at 21:32.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Empathy is still too basic to be any real good, but hey, RTComm beta was basic too.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
i really don't cary much for msn and stuff, but i loved having IRC in the telepathy framework. at least that should be considered. that and maybe telepathy-salut.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I think the Nokia response to problems with the OS2008 Instant Messaging Upgrades was fairly "so-la-la". The project started to "go stale" after the Diablo upgrade, with crucial small failures accumulating over the months, and like everything else pre-Fremantle, it has been completely abandoned now.
Quoting myself in that bug report: As we can see with the history of this bug, it is better to leave to the community anything that is not part of the official product. Releases in the grey are problematic.

Specially the platform teams live most of the time in the future release compared to what users have. There are resources for maintenance but they focus on bugfixing the pre-installed/official packages.

See also that some of the answers in that bug come from a Collabora/upstream developer. They also need to focus in the bleeding edge, being less able to deal with maintenance. Still, I wonder if the Maemo community could have a more direct contact with the developers upstream without needing to knock Nokia's door (asking in practice to fix bugs that require to knock upstream's door).

I'm very sad that there's no official plans to integrate any of these telepathy / pidgin features into Fremantle.
Can you be more specific? Like sorting the features you would like to have best (like benny1967 is doing). I'm curious whether the priorities are the same or similar for everybody.

I guess we can always try to get the Empathy client integrated into the Maemo framework. This integration would centre around the address book, the A/V streaming, and the notification system...

EDIT: Hey, it looks like they're already using Nokia technology, in the form of Mission Control, to do the contacts management. Maybe not so hard to make it all work, after all!
Once you have a plan we can check with Mikhail Zabaluev from the RTComm team. He is a helpful developer that knows about this stuff, and of course about the evolution of the own RTComm framework.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Can you be more specific? Like sorting the features you would like to have best (like benny1967 is doing). I'm curious whether the priorities are the same or similar for everybody.
Well, if you're asking me to limit myself, we're already starting to have problems. The point of the telepathy framework is the ability to provide a wide variety of clients to a single sign-in. So I would want the extra VoIP functionality provided with the Beta (Sofia-SIP), full Farsight (video/audio streaming) capability, plus the Haze plugins (ICQ, MSN, AIM, etc), and of course, link local (I think it is called "salut" in Telepathy). You should be able to scan the local WiFi network and see other people in your "neighbourhood" on your chat service...

But just because I didn't mention one of the Telepathy-supported components doesn't mean it shouldn't be included. I guarantee there will be lots of people who would want the IRC plugin, "idle," included too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
So I would want the extra VoIP functionality provided with the Beta (Sofia-SIP)
That's was only in beta around the the time of Bora actually (released at GUADEC 2007). It was officially included in OS2008, and works remarkably well :-)

All the current beta adds are a few pre-configured provider-specific profiles, and this teaser:

TLS - Use TLS SIP transport (Not supported yet)
TCP via HTTP proxy - Use TCP via HTTP proxy (Not supported yet)
TLS via HTTP proxy - Use TLS via HTTP proxy (Not supported yet)
Regarding this, any news on whether Fremantle will support TLS transport and/or (dare I dream?) SRTP? If not, is it worth filing enhancement requests for those?