I've read through several thread with similar titles and I can't seem to find anything that pertains to my problems, or I might have missed it.

Before I tell you my issue, I would like to give some information first.
I'm using T-Mobile's $5.99 T-Zone plan with the epc.tmobile.com APN. The area I'm in does have a stable 3G coverage, I'm in NYC.

Anyway, here's my issue. When I'm connected to my data connection, after about 2-6 minutes from connected, I would get a message in the yellow bar saying no "cellular data available". On the top, where it shows the signal bar and connection type, it would be replaced with a sim card with a red line going across it. Basically this means there is no sim card in it(obviously there is one in it). This situation would last for about a second or two. After that, the cellular signal is reconnected. Then when I try to reconnect to my data connection, no matter how long it searches, I can't reconnect. The only way I can reconnect is restarting the device. Sometime, I should say most of the time, the problem persist if this problem shows up. If the problem does persist, no matter how many time I restart, the connection would not last through that 2-6 minutes interval before it would be disconnected again. The funny thing is that this happens in areas where I can use my data connection without issue and this happens frequently, but at random.

I can almost conclude the fact that it's not my network's issue because I've tried several phones and I don't have this disconnection issue.

I do hope that I'm not posting this in the wrong section.

Last edited by MNX1024; 2010-02-28 at 20:38.

have you tried keeping an eye on you signal strength? instead of resetting have u tried to mannually reconnect?

Where I work I get 3g... at the door to my office It's still good but the minute I walk through the door my signal goes up and down like a hores draws! sometimes it will show 2 bars on 2g but network connection lossed as you state, I have set it to recconect on it's own and eventually it does...

Im soooo sure it's the server upstairs! it's a monster and I bet pumps out soo much interferance.

Definitely not a signal issue because when it goes out, I would have full signal bars. This issue happens when I'm stationary or moving. Like I said before, this issue occurs in areas where I would not have this issue before. Anyway, here's an example of my problem. I would be in the restaurant that I would go to every Sunday. The data connection would have no issue, but suddenly one day, I would get that issue that I described above. Also, I do reconnect manually(my data connection that is), it would just refuse to connect until I get a message saying something along the line of the device can't find any data connection(don't quite remember the exact word of that message, but I do hope you get what I mean). All I can say is that my current issue is randomly spontaneous.

The Following User Says Thank You to MNX1024 For This Useful Post:
ye like I said i can also "have full signal" yet I get the yellow bar saying data connection error, if you leave it does it never re-connect? that does seem odd. have you tried to make a call or send an sms?

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
@OP your situation sounds similar to those experienced by quite a few people in west end of London on O2 as a carrier. The issue here was simply the cell in question was overloaded. The cell couldn't maintain all the subsriptions so a few got knocked off.

Originally Posted by Spotfist View Post
ye like I said i can also "have full signal" yet I get the yellow bar saying data connection error, if you leave it does it never re-connect? that does seem odd. have you tried to make a call or send an sms?
It's not the data connection error. Basically the phone thinks that there is no sim card in it for a second or two, then it would reconnect. But when I try to reconnect my data, it would refuse to. If you had read my first post thoroughly, you would realize it's not the data connection that get's disconnected, but my cellular connection. ( I do hope that I did not offend you by this, if I did, I would like to apologize)

So,anyone else having this particular problem and/or knows how to solve this?

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
If the sim is flipping out you could also try a soft rubber eraser on the contacts to remove tarnish and grease.

Don't think that would help because the sim "only" flips out when I'm connecting to data, then the cellular signal would be reconnected after a second or two. This does not happen unless I'm using data. But thanks for the advice, would try it out just in case.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Yeah I get that some times, too. Apparently the device doesn't handle lost sim card very gracefully. Luckily, I've found that a simple reboot usually helps

I guess the flimsy sim gate is to blame here... I took the holder off and bent its legs slightly, seems like the sim sits tighter and I haven't had the problem for a while now.

But I don't see how that can cause my data to not be able to connect but the cellular connection reconnects.