as always i have changed default lock code on n900 to my suprise it was still there after flashing firmware and emmc.

i did not restore from any backup and i am quite sure phone lock code is not stored on sim

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Mboro - UK
what about any photo's you've taken?

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Originally Posted by Keir View Post
what about any photo's you've taken?
They're are stored one the internal/external (Your choice) memory card... Not on the (256MB "rootfs") chip which stores the Operating System...

The internal memory card/chip is called the eMMC:

https://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware

Flashing the eMMC in the N900

Flasing the eMMC resets the MyDocs folder contents to factory settings. N900 users don't need to reflash the eMMC of their device. If you are reading this it's probably because you got a pre-production device e.g. in the Maemo Summit. If you have a sales unit and you have problems with your eMMC you should contact Nokia Care.

Also note that any backups created in your MyDocs area will need to be copied off the device to be safe across an eMMC flash as the MyDocs area and other partitions on /dev/mmcblk0 will be erased.

Last edited by DrWilken; 2010-01-02 at 23:54.

all nokia phones keep the lock code even after flashing. it's normal operation to prevent the device from being used after being stolen for example.

Originally Posted by retsam View Post
all nokia phones keep the lock code even after flashing. it's normal operation to prevent the device from being used after being stolen for example.
Sounds very logical otherwise it would kill the whole point of even having a lock code.

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Originally Posted by EvoXLover View Post
Sounds very logical otherwise it would kill the whole point of even having a lock code.
I'm guessing it's placed in a separate chip...?

Does it store the backup to emmc?

IE, if I flash my phone with RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.42-11.203.2_PR_COMBINED_203_ARM.bin

Then restore my backup, I will have my settings/contacts/messages/ back?

I am suffering from the mic (intermittent issues when recording video and making phone calls) problem, and want to try a re-flash before I take it back to the nokia store.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Montpellier, France
yes the backup is on the internal storage
So if you flash with the 42.11 firmware, your MyDocs folder (with the restore inside) won't be deleted.

But you should ALWAYS make a backup when you flash your device, you never know what can happened. 30 seconds to backup to your computer is really nothing compared to the loss of all your contacts, messages, preferences...

The Following User Says Thank You to ravioli156 For This Useful Post:
You mean backup the backup file?

That seems sensible enough.

Because of course nokia pcsuite doesn't fully support the n900 yet to backup contacts etc.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Montpellier, France
When you backup your N900, it creates a zip file including whatsoever you have checked to save (contacts, preferences...) and put it in MyDocs.

It's safe to copy this file on your computer, just in case something goes wrong