Is is possible to download movies to my n900 so I can use my rca jack and plug into my flat screen and watch movies

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by tmarcellus View Post
Is is possible to download movies to my n900 so I can use my rca jack and plug into my flat screen and watch movies
If you run players that use mplayer core (e.g. SiB), then you can even watch the movie full screen on the flat screen and browse web on N900 at the same time (Tips #44)

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Northeast USA
You have a few choices,
Download on your computer and transfer it through USB cable
Download it directly to the device through the web browser, (assuming you have a website you can do that from)
Download the "transmission" application and download the movies through torrents
Download to a pc, set up the media center, enable file streaming, and use the media center connector built into the media player on the n900 and stream the video. (I haven't done this one personally, it strikes me as being too much work.)

I used the first option to watch 9, and it worked wonderfully.

Good luck!

Do you know any sites where the movie is already formatted so I wont have to convert

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Northeast USA
You shouldn't have to do much conversion, from the Nokia USA site:

Video playback file formats: .mp4, .avi, .wmv, .3gp; codecs: H.264, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, H.263
Video streaming: H.264, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, H.263 in .avi, .mp4, .wmv, .asf and .3gp containers

That pretty much covers everything you will run into. If you find a video you can't play, there's an extra codecs pack in the software repository that's free.

Here are the links, if you're interested: http://www.nokiausa.com/find-product...ions#video-vsp

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/M...oders-support/

Posts: 404 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dehradun,India
Originally Posted by pdgiles View Post
Hi: can you recommend good sites for downlaoding movies to my n900? thanks.
u want movies in what resolution and quality.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Louisiana
Transmission and piratebay is all you need

The Following User Says Thank You to mixed_man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mixed_man View Post
Transmission and piratebay is all you need
I like your response, lol. Transmission and piratebay solves everyones problems....that is, until you get a virus....then it becomes your problem

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
I like your response, lol. Transmission and piratebay solves everyones problems....that is, until you get a virus....then it becomes your problem
I love to see the Virus that affects Maemo. That's the coolest part of having Transmission directly on the phone. Never are you forced to use a desktop client that may be prone to infection.

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
I also regularly use the first option, that is downloading the movie to my PC and then transfering it to my n900. The movie plays very smoothly and sounds excellent too. Havent tried the online option yet.