Active Topics

Hi, I have a wireless D-Link router (G), and i was wondering if i would be able to get another router and hook it up to the first one. The first one doesn't reach my basement well enough and it would help if I would be able to put a second one down there. Does anyone know if that would work out?

if it helps, there are 4 computer ports on the router and only one is being used. If I would be able to atach to ethernet cable port on a new router to a computer port on the router i already have, then that be great. that was the original question, in case if there was any confusion. if that would work out, that would be great.
thanks,
2733T

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Cable from one of router 1's LAN ports (computer port) to router no. 2's LAN port (NOT internet port), then go into router no.2 control panel and turn dhcp off.

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
I didnt really understand what you wrote but it is possible to have two routers. It doesnt matter which one the computer will be connected to. Just attach a cable to the ethernet port of your new router, and attach the other end to any port on your old router. Should work fine.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
Well it depends on the router model. Some routers allow WDS and I have seen some D-Link routers supporting it. As for cable connectivity, just disable DHCP on the slave router and make it a second AP with a different SSID. Should work automatically if you configure your N900 to connect automatically to the available WiFi AP. As per my testing WDS ain't that reliable so I invested in better external omni directional antennas instead and used a single AP.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
to make it simpler:
Ethernet cable in one of 4 LAN ports on router no. 1
Other end of the cable in one of the 4 LAN ports on router no.2
Connect a computer to router no.2 and enter control panel (usually type 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in your web browser)
There should be an option that says "Enable DHCP" turn this off. Then configure the network name and network password like you did on router no. 1. just use different network name.