Hi,
I am planning to buy N900. My question is that does it use data plan when using GPS? If yes then is there a way to install some other GPS software like tomtom so that I do not pay for the data plan?

Thanks

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ saint petersburg, fl
gps is free. there is software that costs money though.

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ saint petersburg, fl
ovi maps comes with the n900. it works fine, but is not up to standards for driving directions yet.

Turn off Network Positioning, set internet connections to "always ask".

It'll take longer to get a gps lock, and clear outside view of the sky is absolutely required.

If by "GPS" you actually don't mean GPS, but mean Maps, then Ovi Maps comes preloaded with Maps for your country and doesn't need internet connection for that. Ovi Maps turns off the GPS if it doesn't get lock in 30 secs, so that makes it a bit useless without data connection.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
It'll take longer to get a gps lock, and clear outside view of the sky is absolutely required.
I can get a fix indoors (upstairs) without being near a window. Does take between 2 & 4 minutes though.

Ovi Maps turns off the GPS if it doesn't get lock in 30 secs, so that makes it a bit useless without data connection.
That's a bug that's marked FIXED:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5337#c143

And until that fix is released, I've been opening another app (maep, location-test-gui) to get a fix before I open Nokia Maps. It's a few more clicks but no big deal.

Turn off Network Positioning, set internet connections to "always ask".

If by "GPS" you actually don't mean GPS, but mean Maps, then Ovi Maps comes preloaded with Maps for your country and doesn't need internet connection for that. Ovi Maps turns off the GPS if it doesn't get lock in 30 secs, so that makes it a bit useless without data connection.
@op: please do note that many devices will fail to lock in on your position if agps is disabled. This is a known bug that nokia doesn't seem to give a crap about and has yet to be fixed. Should you end up with a faulty device, you will be charged for the data traffic that agps generates. My advice, if full and free gps functionality is very important to you, stay away from the n900.

EDIT: just saw spanner's reply. Good to see they finally took care of that.

Last edited by koroviov; 2010-03-03 at 17:09. Reason: As

The Following User Says Thank You to koroviov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Just to be sure there is no misunderstanding in the future. Out of the box, the N900 will NOT provide voice guided, turn-by-turn navigation.

As it is right now, you CAN'T install any third party application that will provide those features.

You need internet connection to be able to search a destination.

That being said, don't let this be in your way, the N900 is a fantastic device.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by koroviov View Post
My advice, if full and free gps functionality is very important to you, stay away from the n900.
If SatNav is an important factor in your purchase (rather than just a nice bonus) you'll be disappointed:
- Nokia Maps is very basic
- No digital compass makes direction a bit hit-and-miss
- GPS hardware is OK so better apps will become available in time (and at extra cost)

Originally Posted by spanner View Post
If SatNav is an important factor in your purchase (rather than just a nice bonus) you'll be disappointed:
- Nokia Maps is very basic
- No digital compass makes direction a bit hit-and-miss
- GPS hardware is OK so better apps will become available in time (and at extra cost)
I'm painfully aware of that, got one of the faulty devices myself. I've returned it to nokia, hopefully i'll get my money back.

i'v had 3 n900, 1st one bought from nokia online and it never locked but i only tried for 10mins max outside. 2nd one came from vodafone, instand lock indoors or out and same with the replacement vodafone one.