Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
If this is reproducible, this is a major bug. Updated the firmware on my N900 early this morning and everything seemingly went fine: "update successful" or whatever it says when it is done.

I have no problems connecting to either T-Mobile GPRS or my LAN's router, but I cannot connect to the outside world on the wifi. E-mail doesn't update, I can't connect to any websites using the browser, etc. Everything is fine using the T-Mobile connection though much slower.

Is anybody else having an issue with this? How can I fix this? I'm assuming reverting to my backup won't change the firmware. Reflash the device and void the warranty? Send it away and be without a phone for two plus weeks? This is inexcusable, IMO.

And it's bad timing as I leave tomorrow to go visit my parents who live in the wilderness and my only connection to the outside world is through wifi. I should never have updated.

I can't imagine this is a LAN issue as I'm typing this in my wireless laptop using the same LAN. I will verify this condition exists on another network when I head out soon to my wife's workplace.

Help!

The Following User Says Thank You to jsbigs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post
Reflash the device and void the warranty?
I don't understand. Reflashing does not void the warranty.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I don't understand. Reflashing does not void the warranty.
According to this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...402#post465402

that is open for debate.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Check that it is not your router issue - come to friend, starbacks etc and test. Switch OFF-ON both - N900 and router also may help.

Because it happened multiple times then people cries wolf but finaly it was something with router.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Have you switched your N900 off and on (reboot)? And tried to connect to wifi again?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA

that is open for debate.
No, in that thread:
  1. someone claimed to have been told (by a first-line phone rep) that flashing would invalid a warranty
  2. many people, including Nokia employees, explained that flashing a Maemo device will not invalidate a warranty

If you don't want to read through the whole thread:
  • tekojo, a Nokia employee, stated there that reflashing will not affect a device's warranty.
  • qgil, another Nokia employee, points to instructions on how to reflash a Maemo device in his announcement of PR1.1.
  • The "Nokia N900 software update (part 2)" blog post on conversations.nokia.com suggests:
    Originally Posted by Nokia Conversations
    Users who prefer not to update directly over the air will also have the option to install the update using Nokia Software Updater on their PC. Anyone updating using their PC will be able to upgrade directly from the original to the latest version – without the need to install the intermediate update released during the week.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
ok, i' testing my 5th wireless. mine definitley will not connect to any wireless. and i'm in a 2g zone! aghhhhh.

only thing i can think is fapn / or fmms could cause it? uninstalling both now and will try again!
(extras dev, both installed before update)
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)

that is open for debate.
re-flashing your device with the stock firmware does not void the warranty.

And if that wasn't true, then why would Nokia provide a flasher tool?

EDIT: sjgadsby beat me to it
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
Don't panic....I had the same issue

Read this:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...288#post470288

I also had to uninstall OpenSSH, then reinstall it & reboot to be able to SSH into my N900 from my PC.

EDIT: Actually, I now notice that the sshd seems to timeout after a while, and becomes inaccessible from the outside. If I open a terminal on my N900 and "ssh root@localhost", it seems to kick it back into life, and I can connect again from my PC. Very odd behavior.
I'm having the same issue, when you start terminal and let ping run to your pc, it connects just fine, otherwise it times out or does not connect at all.

before the update I did not have this kindd of behaviour.

anyone have a solution for this??

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Have you switched your N900 off and on (reboot)? And tried to connect to wifi again?
Press small middle button on "top" side of N900 and keep it 4 secs. It is a fast way. Regular PC works in the same design.

If phone works - a short press you a menu with position "switch off!". Of course, unlock first or it will ask you to swipe unlock before a menu.

Tryng to connect to WiFi again - after phone loads it would connect automatically (depending from your setup) or you can press small battery icon on top of screen, then select from menu "Internet connections" and select your WiFi.