While Nokia essentially discontinued their pioneering internet tablet lineup some 2 ½ years ago, a tablet/pad by a certain fruit company has helped spur astonishing level of interest in various types of portable ARM-based internet and media devices.

At Computex, Freescale are demoing their latest enhanced Cortex-A8 ARM processor (i.MX53 Processor Family) with a large number of different devices.

See for yourself: Freescale Launching New i.MX53 Processor Family, Shows Off Tablets, MIDs, eReaders

Personally, besides being in the market for a "modern" compact 4"-6" internet tablet or "phone companion device", I'm also in love with the smartbook (i.e. ARM-based netbook) they featured (video clip included)!

Thin, light, compact, with undoubtably long battery life, Debian-based OS (Ubuntu), nice keyboard and a standard 1024x600 display... now if only it came with a matte screen (glossies are useless anywhere near bright light sources, incl. the great outdoors) and the instant 1-second boot by Ubiquitous also featured in that story.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Doe this have anything to do with the Linaro announcement?

Well, only in the sense that Freescale are participants in the newly announced Linaro joint Linux-on-ARM-hardware development effort and here Freescale were promoting their latest "enhanced" Cortex-A8 chippie through demo devices (some already in the market) of various shapes and sizes...

Personally (this is becoming a habit! ) I like ARM platform's multiple chip manufacturers with single open architecture and roadmap approach.

(And sorry for the dup; slow ignition here sometimes )

Last edited by Peet; 2010-06-05 at 10:47. Reason: enlightenment

I too am eager to see real, actual smartbooks come to market, to replace my trusty Samsung NC10 netbook.

Unfortunately there have been a lot of trade show announcements and demos for the past year, but nothing really appealing and actually available.

If they are to stand a chance in the competition, smartbooks should not be just cheap, dumbed-down netbooks, and really play on their differences and strong points.

For me, thickness and weight are more important than width/length, so what I'd look for in a smartbook would be thinner and lighter, but with at least the same battery life, for about the same going price, and a larger screen with better definition (11 or 12" with at least 720p). Oh, and most importantly, a great keyboard.

The first brand with such a beast on offer gets my next buy :-)

Last edited by fpp; 2010-06-03 at 19:49.

Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Personally (this is becoming a habit! ) I like ARM platform's multiple chip manufacturers with single open architecture and roadmap approach.
It is nice, now if only they could pressure all the peripheral chip and IP makers (read: Imgtec) to go open with their drivers or, at the very least, specs so we don't have to constantly fight closed blobs.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
freescale have been showing off products (SoCs) and concepts lately but i dont think there are many actual devices out there that make use of them.

for one i would love to have seen their tablet with keyboard dock become a actual product.