Posts: 279 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade, Serbia
Which one of these things drains battery the most: Wifi or 3G? I have both turned on constantly. Will the battery life of my phone be bigger if i turn off the wifi and switch 3g to 2g?

I know this has been talked about extensively and I'm sure people will tell you to search the forums but it seems like the more I read the more people can't make up their mind. Some say 3G does, some say wifi does. Then on top of that there's a huge discussion about a big wifi bug but I have no idea if the bug has been fixed in recent firmware. I'd also like to hear a definitive answer.

The Following User Says Thank You to kbeeveer46 For This Useful Post:
yes...sure...

The Following User Says Thank You to Mazi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade, Serbia
Originally Posted by kbeeveer46 View Post
I know this has been talked about extensively and I'm sure people will tell you to search the forums but it seems like the more I read the more people can't make up their mind. Some say 3G does, some say wifi does. Then on top of that there's a huge discussion about a big wifi bug but I have no idea if the bug has been fixed in recent firmware. I'd also like to hear a definitive answer.
That's exactly what i've done. I've searched A LOT of forums and some of them say 3g and some wifi. That's why i created a thread here, hoping someone can answer.

wifi if not use but turned on always drain battery but not much... only if u set for always search then drain a lot...

3G VS 2G : 2G always better in battery draining so if not use 3G switch to 2G

3G drains a bit faster, but if you turn the power of the wifi down to 10mw it should be just below the 3g in power consumption if you leave it default 100mw then youll get better reception but it will use more power ...

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by shady View Post
3G drains a bit faster, but if you turn the power of the wifi down to 10mw it should be just below the 3g in power consumption if you leave it default 100mw then youll get better reception but it will use more power ...
hmmm...As reported by one developer in maemo bugzilla. It aint's so stupid that it would use full power all the time. It adapts itself to transmitter power.

iirc the radiated 100mW is less than 25% of the total wifi power consumption anyway...

3G is a vampire. wifi is the middle one. and 2G is the efficient one in terms of power consumption.

i thought that the wifi range isn't much of a big deal. some says it's just a requirement for laws of countries in terms of wifi broadcast. if the power consumption is true, 10mw might also not be that power efficient if it will try harder to keep on searching or maintaining a connection due to a shorter range of connection...

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna
Originally Posted by cloudstrife1ph View Post
3G is a vampire. wifi is the middle one. and 2G is the efficient one in terms of power consumption.

i thought that the wifi range isn't much of a big deal. some says it's just a requirement for laws of countries in terms of wifi broadcast. if the power consumption is true, 10mw might also not be that power efficient if it will try harder to keep on searching or maintaining a connection due to a shorter range of connection...
Then i guess it's bad that i can't switch to GSM because i got a SWAP device