Posts: 26 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
Just go my N900 two days ago and immediately started to fine tune it to get the "perfect instalment".

First I installed small tweaks straight from extras and extras testing directories, but soon I found out that not everything I wanted could be easily downloaded and installed.
I wanted the perfect ad blocking capabilities (ad-block plugin is a resource hog). I searched these forums and the wiki for several hours and found bits of info scattered all around. After trial and error I finally managed to get everything working. It took lots of time, but it was worth it and that's why I decided to put together this guide to make the process easier for you people.

In this guide we'll block adds with a hosts file and css method. If you'd like to read more about these two check this wiki page.

Reqruitments:
-You need to have rootsh installed. You can find it in maemo.org repository.
-You need a computer and the N900.
-Having some xterm knowledge helps a lot.
Before we get to bussines I highly recommend you to read trough this short xterm tutorial.
DISCLAIMER: Do everything as written below or otherwise you might bork up your device!

1. Copy the whole text from this site. Go to your desktop and create a .txt file and name it “adhosts.txt” and paste in the whole text you just copied from the site. Remember to save.

2. Copy the whole text from this site. Go to your desktop and create a .txt file and name it “userContent.css” and paste in the whole text you just copied from the site. Remember to save it as .css not .txt!

3. Move adhost.txt and userContent.css files to your N900 MyDocs (The first folder that comes up when you connect your N900 to your computer)

4. Open xterm and write (after every line hit enter):
sudo gainroot
cat /home/user/MyDocs/adhosts.txt >> /etc/hosts
5. Write:
cd /home/user/.mozilla/microb/
ls
The ls commands shows all the files and folders in the /microb directory. Now look after a folder named chrome if it ain’t there we need to create it, otherwise jump to step 7:

6. Write
mkdir chrome
7. Write:
cd / home/user/MyDocs
mv userContent.css /home/user/.mozilla/microb/chrome
7. Close xterm and now you should be done! Check the results by browsing sites that used to have ads. Enjoy!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tuukka For This Useful Post: