Notices

I've seen several people mentioning this, and it seems to be a common problem.. N900's camera quality is poor, and so far it's by biggest disappointment,
because my N73 gave me a much better result..

I work with documents alot, and N73 was good enough to give me a pic with readable text, but N900 gives me a blurry image and obviously unreadable text...
Some people suggested removing the back, but i don't see any difference in the result
Did they really put a 5MP camera?

Here are the pics comparison :

N900 - normal

N900- without back

Now compare it with the result from my N73

As you can see removing the back didn't make any difference for me..
Is this a software issue or hardware?
I really hope it's software though..

So is there any fix for this ?

i dont remember so bad document pictures with my n900.

attach the document (check no personal information here please) so we can print it and take a picture, for comparison.

also, install the lux widget (i dont remember the name) so you can tell us how much ambient light are you using with the pictures

Forgive me if this sounds too obvious, but I was very disappointed with the camera at first too -- until I figured out you need to just very lightly hold down the shutter button until the focus lines go green. Bam, focused, good pictures.

Seems simple, but I really tried for like 30 minutes in heavy frustration before figuring it out. I guess there is a point to reading manuals.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to travik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ T.M.O
@deny_winarto
I took two pics of an A4 sheet in zero light conditions, using the flash. Back cover on in case you are wondering.

Results:

Normal Mode

Macro Mode

Conclusion: Try using Macro mode, it seems to help out quite a bit

Last edited by un-named_user; 2010-04-27 at 04:44. Reason: missing word.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hong Kong
I find that the camera needs time to focus first. I usually press the shutter button half way for about 1 to 2 sec before making the shot. Once it has focus and the image is sharp on screen, the resulting picture is always sharp. I've taken many pictures of documents with my N900 this way without any problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to henry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by travik View Post
Forgive me if this sounds too obvious, but I was very disappointed with the camera at first too -- until I figured out you need to just very lightly hold down the shutter button until the focus lines go green. Bam, focused, good pictures.

Seems simple, but I really tried for like 30 minutes in heavy frustration before figuring it out. I guess there is a point to reading manuals.
Originally Posted by henry View Post
I find that the camera needs time to focus first. I usually press the shutter button half way for about 1 to 2 sec before making the shot. Once it has focus and the image is sharp on screen, the resulting picture is always sharp. I've taken many pictures of documents with my N900 this way without any problem.
Wow thanks alot,
i guess you're right, but i don't see it in my user manual
And i don't think N73 used it either right? I always got good resukt with N73 even without autofocus
Another thing, the focus line doesn't always go to green, sometimes it goes red, especially when i point it down..
Does this mean the autofocus failed or something?

Originally Posted by un-named_user View Post
@deny_winarto
I took two pics of an A4 sheet in zero light conditions, using the flash. Back cover on in case you are wondering.

Conclusion: Try using Macro mode, it seems to help out quite a bit
Thanks, i'll keep that in mind

Well overall i've been getting better result with autofocus..
I'm relieved because i thought it was hardware issue
Still i don't understand why the quality is so poor without auto focus?

I agree its a bit counterintuitive, not like most digicams or cameraphones Ive used; but once I got used to it, I like it; it focuses much faster than some dedicated cameras Ive used.

And definitely try macro; I always use macro mode for photographing documents; I've done about 100 pages worth in the week Ive had the phone, all turned out great, even OCR readable (via Adobe Reader on my PC).

If the lines are red, the light might be too low, or it could just be thinking; try again, or try to get more light on it.

Got it, so it's Autofocus + Macro Mode..

Still i'm a bit dissapointed because my N73 would still give better result even without autofocus, and i took multiple pictures faster with it..
This time i have to wait 3 sec before taking a pic or else i'll get crappy, blurry pic

Hope they fix this in the next update

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by deny_winarto View Post
Got it, so it's Autofocus + Macro Mode..
You didn't first use macro mode when taking picture that close?

Still i'm a bit dissapointed because my N73 would still give better result even without autofocus, and i took multiple pictures faster with it..
This time i have to wait 3 sec before taking a pic or else i'll get crappy, blurry pic
What do you have to wait for 3 seconds? Autofocus?

Hope they fix this in the next update
They will only fix things that has been reported and confirmed (by couple of people only one is not enough) and chosen to be bug that can be fixed.
https://bugs.maemo.org/

.edit
Found one report
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7224
But as you can see there is not enough instructions how to reproduce it.

Last edited by slender; 2010-04-27 at 05:26.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
You didn't first use macro mode when taking picture that close?

Yup, didn't know that, because i never had to do it with N73

What do you have to wait for 3 seconds? Autofocus?

Yes, for example when i have to take 50 pics, then i have to make sure i get autofocus 50 times, and i have to wait like 2-3 seconds longer for 1 pic. Again, i don;t have to do this with N73

They will only fix things that has been reported and confirmed (by couple of people only one is not enough) and chosen to be bug that can be fixed.
https://bugs.maemo.org/

.edit
Found one report
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7224
But as you can see there is not enough instructions how to reproduce it.
I read some people with Nseries phones claim that their camera quality was better after software update.. So i hope we can expect the same with N900
I think there's already enough people complaining about this
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36675&page=16
I hope Nokia really fix this