Poll: What's with all the negativity?
Poll Options
What's with all the negativity?

Closed Thread
What's people's opinions on the motivations behind all the 'anti' posters?

I'm not sure myself but try to subscribe to Hanlon's Razor...

As an aside, if it's the types in option 2 they really don't seem to grasp either the device or the nature of an online community behind an open source project...

Last edited by rich c; 2010-05-16 at 17:51.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
It's an opinion brought about by feeling slightly cheated, and irritation at having made an incorrect decision (in their own eyes).
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think it's mainly N900 owners whose expectations were not met by the N900. What about their expectation, you asked? It's mainly based on the competitor's offerings and Nokia's marketing message on the N900.

As for astroturfing/shills; I think such behavior would backfire and generate the reverse effect to the competitor's image. No, I don't think that's the case.

PS: I mainly use Gillette.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
What's people's opinions on the motivations behind all the 'anti' posters?

I'm not sure myself but try to subscribe to Hanlon's Razor...

As an aside, if it's the types in option 2 they really don't seem to grasp either the device or the nature of an online community behind an open source project...
Not everyones favorite program is XTerminal...

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I think it's mainly N900 owners whose expectations were not met by the N900. What about their expectation, you asked? It's mainly based on the competitor's offerings and Nokia's marketing message on the N900.
I agree. Most people looks the presentation video, a couple animations, and believe the phone "will" do anything they want it to do. I thought the same way when i saw the video too. But then i spent like 4 months looking on forums, viewing user videos on youtube, etc. and found out that, for my needs, that it does what i needed and more. I also agree that there are some things that it doesnt do very well that other devices do, but for me, those are small things that i can live with.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
You are getting whipped on your own poll OP, thank goodness you are not a politician. You are out of touch with the public.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-05-16 at 18:13.

Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
You are getting whipped on your poll OP, thank goodness you are not a politician. You are out of touch with the public.
You might care to notice that I didn't vote myself. I had no clear idea what the motivation behind all the negativity is/was. If it is genuinely people who feel their expectations weren't met then that's fine. Personally, I'm very careful who I sing the praises of the N900 to. I need to be convinced a person would be technically capable and willing to get the best out of it before I recommend they go and get one.

I do think it's a bit unfair that people who do feel they made the wrong choice don't just suck it up instead of taking it out on the Maemo community.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Take a pick of any community surrounding any product and a percentage of the people will be upset about whatever product just came out.

I will never forget the introduction of the terminal in OS X from the OS 9.1 days on the Mac. The Mac users went insane. They were like "We don't want a terminal. It should just work, like it always has..." yet it all went away in due time.

So... why are all of these folks even paying attention to the "hate posters". If you're happy with <insert product here> then why would you feel any type of obligation to defend your purchase?

Either answer the grievance with a proper answer to resolve their problem or just ignore it. Nokia should be the one defending their product. They made it. You (plural) only purchased it.

I've been face to face with people that wanted me to defend my N810 purchase. After I continued using it, ignoring them, they started to ask real questions... which I answered.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post

As for astroturfing/shills; I think such behavior would backfire and generate the reverse effect to the competitor's image. No, I don't think that's the case.

Aren't you the guy shilling for Apple constantly?

I think mostly people were unaware of the kind of device and eco-system they were getting into. It's easy to blame others then but it wouldn't have been that difficult to find info beforehand. Of course I wish also that there was much more software but I try to understand the current situation and be supportive of the community.

And I have to say that there's already loads of stuff out there. But I guess at the moment I'm so in love with MyPaint that it's clouding my judgment

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
*sigh* Options missing from poll...

Closed Thread